Tundra

Tundra

Page Type Page Type: Album

What is Tundra?

To put it short, tundra is a barren, usually cold, treeless and possibly windy landscape covered in only rock and tiny plants adapted to the climate. Although this desciption is similar to that of desert, tundra differs in the fact that lakes usually dot the land allowing for plenty of wildlife.

There are two types of tundra: Polar and High Altitude.

Polar tundra exists in the polar regions of the world. Usually, due to latitude, the ground is permanantly frozen. This is called permafrost.

High alititude tundra forms at high altitudes where air is colder than at the surface. Permafrost rarely exists here.

The word was derived from tunturi which means mountain which reaches above the timberline. Tundra, in Sami, means treeless land.(Thanks to GP Sobachka and Lolli for info)

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Cedar

Cedar - Sep 30, 2007 5:40 pm - Hasn't voted

I'll be adding...

I'll be adding some of my own images here when I get the chance. As for now, I've picked some of the best ones I found on the site.

GeoPooch Sobachka

GeoPooch Sobachka - Sep 30, 2007 5:56 pm - Hasn't voted

BTW the name "tundra"

is from Finnish languages, most likely Sami, and means just ... "mountain".

Cedar

Cedar - Sep 30, 2007 6:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: BTW the name

Thanks! I think I'll add that in.

Cedar

Cedar - Nov 5, 2007 10:42 am - Hasn't voted

Re: BTW the name

Okay! I'll go and change that. Thanks! Very interesting.

Andino

Andino - Oct 1, 2007 2:49 am - Voted 10/10

You forgot...

to put a primary image ;o)

Cedar

Cedar - Oct 1, 2007 10:59 am - Hasn't voted

Re: You forgot...

Thanks! I'll add one now.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6