Twin Imps Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Fred Spicker

Fred Spicker - Aug 22, 2011 10:59 am - Voted 10/10

Dog Lake approach

More details on the Dog Lake Approach -

It is 7 miles from the trail head at Windy Gap (7,606 ft) to its Dog Creek crossing (7040 ft). The trail starts off downhill – the drop is about 800 ft which must be regained on the way out. Otherwise, the trail gains and looses very little elevation to Dog Creek.

The trail from the main loop trail to Dog Lake is not maintained (USFS calls it a "Social Trail"). It is quite good most of the way but can be hard to follow in places. It is about 1.3 miles from the main trail to the lake with an elevation gain of about 870 ft.

From the east end of Dog Lake, there is a good fisherman’s trail along the north shore. It is about .75 miles and 890 ft of elevation gain from the east end of the lake to the saddle at the bottom of the NE Arete. The saddle is gained by a short steep talus filled couloir or gully that cannot be seen from the lake. It is hidden behind an obvious whitish colored buttress. There are some photos attached to the mountain and route pages.

There is a campsite where the main loop trail crosses Dog Creek and campsites at the lake.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Return to 'Twin Imps' main page