Twin Peaks (Ouray) Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

madbuck - Jun 21, 2013 9:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Trailhead CORRECTION

The trailhead directions are INCOMPLETE and therefore INACCURATE, because the first trail one would encounter by following this description would be WRONG.

After driving up Queen Road, proceed to take a left on Pinecrest Drive. After two switchbacks and approximately a half mile, look for a parking area and a sign for Oak Creek Trailhead.

Be aware that, before this (at the Pinecrest/Queen junction), the “Old” Twin Peaks trail (which is also labeled as Oak Creek) and a very small parking area exists.
THIS “OLD” TRAIL IS CURRENTLY CLOSED IN A HALF MILE, and one would not know to look for the “New” trail instead by the existing trailhead description.

Should one be tempted to continue hiking past the closure on the Old Twin Peaks Trail, one will encounter an eroded trail that has quite steep, dangerous/deadly drop-offs in places, which is already sketchy in dry weather. This old trail that essentially goes straight up a drainage is very much not recommended, and does not fit the description of a challenging but manageable hike described here and elsewhere.

BE SURE to use the NEW Twin Peaks trail and trailhead, which has ample parking, a more safe and managed trail, that is also more scenic than the old trail.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Return to 'Twin Peaks (Ouray)' main page