User Profile Image

User Profile Image

Tuolumne Meadows, July 1986. Look close and you can see one of my homemade stoppers on the right side of the picture (the one with a hole in the side.) A friend used a set of Chouinard straight sided nuts to create forms for sandcasts for stoppers at Chico State. Had a set made, I drilled 'em for cordage. They worked very well.
Dave Dinnell
on Feb 13, 2006 6:19 am
Image ID: 171331

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Jan 17, 2010 5:48 pm - Voted 10/10

Dave,

Did your friend design the curved stoppers? I'm trying to remember when curved stoppers hit the market. I think I still have some flat sided stoppers from God Knows when.

Dave Dinnell

Dave Dinnell - Jan 21, 2010 2:23 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Dave,

Hey Marc, I think curved stoppers came out around '83?? I had a first generation set of Rocks from Wild Country...1-6 wired and 7-9 on perlon. But the straight sided versions were easier to create molds for.

The friend that created these didn't do any other design work, it was sort of a one-off project. Another friend of mine did do design work though and created the first Chouinard curved stoppers. I preferred the WC versions though. I still have a few of the smaller wired nuts but gave away my larger ones as well as a bunch of Campbell Saddlewedge stoppers.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2