Van Patten Butte Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Oct 3, 2011 10:52 am Date Climbed: Oct 2, 2011

Long Day  Sucess!

After doing Angell Peak, I traversed over to the south ridge of Van Patten. The ridge looked more technical up close so I opted to drop down to the east side and traversed north while running about 700 feet below the ridge. Then I hiked/scrambled up to the summit needing to correct my line a few times due to rock walls that would appear. Scrambled down a nasty gully on the north side of the ridge between the west and east peaks and then traversed and descended north. Came across an old prospecting site with old tools. Used their old trail to descend down further and eventually just bushwhacked to the road instead of fight the forest back to Antholy Lakes Campground. 3 hours over from Angell Peak and then another 3 back to Anthony Lakes. Then, a loooooooooong drive back to Portland.

calebEOC

calebEOC - Sep 18, 2011 7:30 pm Date Climbed: Sep 18, 2011

Up the lake trail  Sucess!

After hiking Chief Joseph over in the Wallowas the previous day and its 5200 feet of gain, I decided an easier peak would be nice for my 2nd day of peakbagging. Found a rotting deer carcass just above the lake tucked between some rocks that a spring flowed out of, not a good place to filter water I would suspect. Very cloudy this day, summit views obscured by low level clouds that blew in the previous night.

idahomtnhigh

idahomtnhigh - Sep 25, 2010 7:40 pm Date Climbed: Sep 25, 2010

Van Patten Lake Loop Climb  Sucess!

I parked at Little Alps and hiked the last mile of the road to the trailhead. The trail was short and easy to follow, I than headed around the east side of the lake and climb a chute up to unnamed point 8412. I than traversed the ridge from point 8412 to Van Patten Butte East 8648. The chute and the ridge were class 3 and all the cliff bands on the ridge forced me to stay 50 feet below and south of the ridge. After summiting the west peak of Van Patten, I returned to the lake via the east draw. All in all this was a very good trip, bright blue sky with a little wind. 5.97 miles with 2709ft climbed, total car to car time 6.5 hours.

Troy B

Troy B - Jul 5, 2010 6:15 pm Date Climbed: Jul 5, 2010

Van Patten Butte   Sucess!

The views from the summit are spectacular. Nice hike/climb past a beautiful alpine lake.

cjwhat

cjwhat - Aug 14, 2008 8:19 pm Date Climbed: Aug 6, 2008

Blowdown blues  Sucess!

We parked per the route description and hiked the last mile of road. Thought I could drive it 'cause I usually do, but this time the description was darned accurate. Made it to the south end of Van Patten Lake where the many blowdowns creats some route finding issues. We lucked onto the right game trails. Went up the bowl (picked the right game trails again) and reached the saddle N of summit. From there it's easy to the summit.

mrh

mrh - Dec 7, 2005 1:14 am

Route Climbed: Northeast basin Date Climbed: August 5, 2005  Sucess!

Hiked to Van Patten Lake and then to the notch in the ridge to the south. From there went the summit and then returned via the northeast ridge to near the lake. Had a great day.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Van Patten Butte' main page