Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 41.90361°N / 12.45027°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 246 ft / 75 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Vatican Hill, Colle Vaticano, Mons Vaticanus, Vatikanischer Hügel – all names for the same, insignificant knoll rising above the Vatican Gardens, in the extreme north west of the territory of the State of Vatican City in Rome. The hill has no alpinistic meaning; is only interesting for collectors of European highpoints, since it is the highest natural point in the Vatican – 75 m high.

The summit is being reached only by few over time, as it is hidden behind trees and bushes and normally not accessible due to the strict regulation providing that nobody is permitted to enter the Gardens except when member of a guided tour. Guided tours normally don't care to approach the summit, and the guides are difficult to convince to make a little detour.

For more non-mountaineering-related details see External Links

Getting There

Apply for entry into the Gardens at the entrance to the Vatican Museums, Viale Vaticano, at the north west side of the Vatican Wall. Get an appointment. Join a group that is being assembled at given times, depending on demand. Watch out for the highest point while you walk through the Gardens – you will find it to the right hand side of the trail when walking uphill.

Sneaking away from the group, towards the summit, will be regarded as unruly behaviour and may result in you being expelled from the Gardens.

Red Tape

Entrance to the Vatican Gardens only with a ticket.
Formally not permitted to climb, unless with a special permission and under control of a guide.

Camping

In front of Vatican Wall there are small parking lots where you may sleep in your car and use the restrooms in the lobby to the Vatican Museums.

External Links

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican_Hill

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colle_Vaticano

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatikanischer_H%C3%BCgel

www.gipfel-und-grenzen.eu

http://www.gipfel-und-grenzen.de/inhalt/vatikan.php

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Baarb

Baarb - Nov 14, 2011 9:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Coordinates

They seem to need correcting a touch.

T. White

T. White - Nov 9, 2022 9:54 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Coordinates

Corrected.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.