Via Ferrata Roc del Quer

Via Ferrata Roc del Quer

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.56813°N / 1.59388°E
Additional Information Route Type: Via Ferrata
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

A SE facing, (mostly) easy Via Ferrata, with a nil approach time. It literally starts from the side of the road with parking nearby. A series of cables interspersed at the lower end with some short earthen paths. As you get higher, the difficulty increases with the exposure. It is well protected throughout and has numerous rung sections and even a short wall with artificial holds bolted on, like an indoor climbing wall.

There is a slightly overhanging section and some very exposed but well protected traverses.

The 350metre ascent should take less than 2 hours and ends in a pretty viewpoint picnic area, at the 1,920 metre summit of the Roc. The descent will take less than an hour down through a pine forest.

Getting There

From La Seu D’Urgell,(Catalunya) take the N145 north into Andorra. Effectively, stay on this road for 30 kilometres until you reach the town of Conillo. Take the road to Coll d'Ordino and you will pass the start of the route on your left. There's a parking area 150m after the first hairpin.

Route Description

VF Roc del QuerLisa on the lower pitches

Start up easy slabs and follow the cable to the top!
In the lower section, there are a few traverses on earthen paths. Occasionally, there is a chain alongside the route to use whenever handholds get scarce. There is even a section with bolted on multi coloured holds.
VF Roc del QuerEarthy sections can be seen below me


Toward the middle, it gets a lot steeper. Here you will find a slightly overhanging section with rungs, and two airy traverses with a lot of exposure beneath.
VF Roc del QuerSteeper rung sections leading to the airy traverse above the lip of the roof.

VF Roc del Quer traverseWell protected with 300 metres of fresh mountain air beneath my feet.

Toward the top, the difficulties decrease again.

Essential Gear

A credit card. Andorra is the shopping capital of Europe.
Apart from that, bog standard VF kit.