Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 45.62556°N / 7.62325°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 26, 2016
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter

Triple Overview Unlike

From Northeast, ie from the valley floor at the Baltea, and to the Southwest stretches the Valley of Champorcher reaching the three important Hills of the Rosa, Balma and Finestra with the Piedmont Region and Cogne's Valley.
Other crossings "turn" back to the North back towards the High Comba Tersiva-Clavalité-Fénis, Champdepraz Lakes and high hill above Issogne Commune and then back down to the Dora; on the opposite side other hills leading to the Southeast to the Valley of the Orco and the Plain of Ivrea. Even this valley, as well as the adjacent Cogne, has the specific feature of being disposed not vertically but diagonally across the course of Dora Baltea. This for topographic precision, but we are interested in the path along the valley floor following the Torrent Ayasse that, being born at Lake Miserin nearby Rosa dei Banchi, passes Dondena old Village then gradually reach Ciardonney locality, Champorcher, Pontboset and finally Hône Commons in front of the Forteress of Bard. An ancient journey that in the past was done more in opposite and contrary route to counter armies and armed that, coming from the Valley of Cogne, trying to encircle behind the Aosta Valley coming over the impregnable fort which barred the path along the Dora Baltea. But also a "modern" path that can trace this valley by not only hikers and skiers but also from simple Tourists in search of discoveries and wonders it can offer. We will then have a number of well differentiated proposals ranging from the Artistic-Religious aspect with votive Chapels, Shrines and Churches in the Historic-Civil with remains of towers, castles and Royal Roads. All that remains, therefore, that stop at Hone, in Pontboset or Pontboset and Champorcher adjacent Municipalities, without forgetting the surroundings where you can meet new and beautiful surprises in the field of Nature. As the narrow bridge at the waterfall on wild Gorge of Ratus above Pontboset on the way towards the just above Crest Alp before the Torrent Brenve crosses the raging and impetuous Torrent Ayasse.

Starting from Baltea towards Southwest, leaving East the Bard Fortress,

by Maria Grazia Schiapparelli

Da Nordest, cioé dal fondovalle o dalla Dora Baltea, e verso Sudovest si distende la Valle di Champorcher raggiungendo i Colli della Rosa, della Balma e Finestra.
Altri valichi "girano" di nuovo a Settentrione ritornando verso la Clavalité-Fénis, Champdepraz e l'alta collina sopra Issogne e quindi nuovamente verso la Dora; sul versante opposto altri colli conducono a Sudest verso la Valle dello Orco e la Piana di Ivrea. Anche questa valle, così come quella adiacente di Cogne, possiede la peculiarietà di essere disposta non in verticale bensì diagonalmente rispetto al corso della Baltea. Questo per la precisazione topografica, ma ci interessa il percorso lungo il fondovalle seguendo il Torrent Ayasse che, nascendo al Lago Miserin, passa per il vecchio Villaggio di Dondena raggiungendo progressivamente Ciardonney, Champorcher, Pontboset ed infine Hône affronte alla Fortezza di Bard. Un viaggio antico che nel passato veniva effettuato maggiormente al contrario per contrastare eserciti ed Armate che, arrivando dalla Valle di Cogne, cercavano di accerchiare alle spalle la Valle di Aosta arrivando sopra l'inespugnabile forte che sbarrava il cammino lungo la Dora. Ma anche un percorso "moderno" che vede risalire questa vallata da parte non solo di Escursionisti e Sciatori ma pure da semplici Turisti alla ricerca delle scoperte e delle meraviglie che essa può offrire. Avremo così una serie di proposte ben differenziate che vanno dallo aspetto Artistico-Religioso con Cappelle votive, Santuari e Chiese a quello Storico-civile con resti di torri, castelli e Strade Reali. Non rimane quindi che fermarsi ad Hone, a Pont-Bozet o Pontboset e Champorcher, senza dimenticarsi dei dintorni dove si possono incontrare nuove e belle sorprese anche in ambito Naturalistico. Come al ponte presso la cascata del selvaggio Orrido del Ratus a Pontboset sulla via del Crest prima che il Torrent Brenve incroci l'impetuoso Ayasse.

Becs Raty above the Royal Road of Vittorio Emanuele II° or "King Toio",

by andreaperino

Getting There

By car:

  • From TORINO, MILANO, etc: Motorway A5. Exit at IVREA or Quincinetto (PIEDMONT)

    From IVREA Town: Pont Saint Martin, Donnas, Hône, Bard, Municipalities.

    Specific Main Road

    From Bard to Hône (566m, 364m) Commons, crossing on Dora Baltea Stream; this last towards Pont Bozet (775m) to Champorcher Valley, Camporcher-Château (1427m), Petit, Grand Mont Blanc, La Cort Villages, towards Dondena Village (2092m), Dondena & Miserin Refuges, through Royal Road & secondary dirt roads; Barbustel Refuge, through Royal Road and path towards Champdepraz Vallon.

  • From FRANCE: through the Mont Blanc Tunnel to Entrèves-crossroads to Vény/Ferret Valleys - Mountain Guides of Courmayeur - La Saxe Rock Gym - Courmayeur. By Little Saint Bernard Pass, closed since November until half May to La Thuile Valley - Pré Saint Didier - Courmayeur.

    It is not necessary to take Motorway A5: you can drive on State Road n° 26, in the direction of AOSTA - IVREA - TURIN.

By plane:
  • Aeroporto Internazionale "Corrado Gex" Saint Christophe (Aosta)

From Dora Baltea towards the Mont Glacier

Mont Glacier (3186m) an emblem overhanging Becs Raty,

by emilius

From Aosta or by the next Châtillon, St. Vincent and Verrès, continuing Eastward but leaving the Central Valley of Baltea, passing on the bridge above the same, you get to Bard Municipality continue Southwest towards the above and very long Champorcher Valley (566m; Castle of X° Century; Constructions and Medieval Bridge). The first in the village center of what had been the Roman consular road and the second on the Dora Baltea Stream. The Castle, built by Ottone Lord of Bard originary by the House of Lorraine (France), after several disputes between the descendants until 1214 became the exclusive property of Lord Hugh of Bard until the seizure by the Duke Amedeo IV° of Savoy in favor of the Savoy States; he was shot down in 1661 by Carlo Emanuele II° who built a strong defensive replaced by 1830-31 from the current Fortress of Bard. The same was used by 400 Austro-Piedmontese soldiers to repel the Army of Napoleon Bonaparte, resisting from 19th May to 01th June 1800, giving with the honors of war. Crossing the bridge above the same Baltea, you reach the close of the Municipality of Hône (364m; Parish Church of San Giorgio with its little statue and icon of the XVIII° Century, Chapel of San Grato XVII°). Going up the Valley of Champorcher you reach the Common of Pont - Bozet or Pontboset (775m, 5.5 Km. from Hône; Parish Church of St. Grat before 1600, built in locality Villa" and now completely restored; archway entrance Medieval; "granges"and "Rascards"; drinking fountains in stone; with double-arched bridge over the Torrent Ayasse; in town Fabrique arose major foundry, known as the "Factory of nails"; in the small town hall square is also the Hostel "Lou Creton di lui" ("The Crest of the Wolf") now completely restored; Gom Chapel of 1727, into the country). Sited at the foot of the high cliffs of the Mont Charvatton and the slopes of the "Ravine of Ratus". From the chief-town marked trail that is part of the 4 "Paths of the Horrid" crossing the four Municipalities of Pont-Bozet ("Ravine Pavel"), Champorcher ("Goille of Pourtset"), Fontainemore ("Gouffre de Guillemore") and Hône ("Three Golilles de Hône"). Is what great gorgia excavated and carved by the great waterfall into a gorge above Brenve Creek and near the end of the Valley of Crest where the Shrine of Re Tempio (King's Temple; 1470m). A hike that can be done using the path-mule track n° 3/3C/Alta Via n° 4 to the Vallon of the Manda and then return to the village of Crest and, crossing to Brenve, reach the Sanctuary, or starting from Ravine and going from this last vallon (EE; 2h'15/2h'45). A third way even longer part directly from Hône and passing near the Torrent Ayasse rejoins the previous Crest by just under one in the Alps Albarey and Frontiere. Continuing with the Regional road for Champorcher meet the Villages of Châtaigne, Piallemont, Trambesère, Savin, La Place (1020m; octagonal Chapel with inscription about the plague of 1630), Salleret, Meller (1293 m) from where the path with n° 13/14A can continue for the Oratory of Santa Anna (1706m) at the Hill Finestra (TE/F; 1h'15/1h'30. In addition you will reach the Capital of Château ((1427 m; Squared Tower exclusive remain of an ancient Castle of 1100 by Bard's Lords) and from this through the Royal Route Village Dondena (2097m). From which with trail n° 7B/7C/Alta Via n° 2 or, via the Refuge Dondena and path more in the South under the Mont de Dondena, with the n° 7/Alta Via n° 4 to the Miserin Sanctuary (2582m; ancient Oratory became famous for the miracles that took place during the plague of 1630 and turned into Chapel in 1658 by Pantaleone Savin; the same was damaged by heavy snowfall (11 metres of snow) the years 1714 and 15 for the which over the same thing in 1717 was built a small Church with three altars. On August 5th, secular Procession dedicated to "Our Lady of the Snows". This, thanks to the construction of the Royal Road between Champorcher and Cogne, also attracted the inhabitants of the latter and of other valleys and the Sanctuary, more and more famous, was expanded in 1880 through the intervention of the famous Abbot Pierre Chanoux, Rector in Hospice du Pt. St. Bernard, but a native of Champorcher; Don Filiberto Noussan, Pastor Champorcher, completed the work with the construction a second floor to allow the stay of more than 200 people, while the number of the procession have exceeded 5,000 units. Sanctuary is located on the North shore of Lake, that flaunts its very azure waters (2588m; TE/F; 1h'20; or with tour more in North under Mont Dondena 1h'40).

Miserin Sanctuary between Punta Tersiva & Rosa dei Banchi,

by Antonio

Da Aosta o dai Comuni di Châtillon, St. Vincent e Verrès, continuando ad Oriente ed abbandonando la Valle Centrale della Dora Baltea sul ponte sulla medesima, si arriva Comune di Bard (566 m; Castello del X° Secolo; costruzioni e Ponte Medioevali) con la Strada Regionale si prosegue verso Sudovest in direzione della lunga Valle di Champorcher. Tornando a Bard, da notare che le prime sono nel centro del paese su quella che era stata la strada consolare romana ed il secondo sulla Dora. Il Castello, costruito da Ottone di Bard del Casato francese dei Lorena, dopo varie contese tra i discendenti sino al 1214 diventò proprietà esclusiva di Ugo dei Bard insino alla confisca, dopo una lunga seie di litigi e contrasti famigliari, da parte del Duca Amedeo IV° di Savoia in favore degli Stati Sabaudi; nel 1661 venne abbattuto da Carlo Emanuele II° che ne costruì un forte difensivo, sostituito dal 1830-31 dall'attuale Fortezza di Bard. La stessa servì a 400 soldati Austro-Piemontesi per respingere l'Armata di Napoleone Bonaparte, resistendo dal 19 Maggio al 1 Giugno 1800 e cedendo sol con l'onor dell'armi. Passando il ponte sulla Dora, si raggiunge il viciniore Comune di Hône (364 m; Chiesa Parrocchiale di San Giorgio e statua del medesimo con icona del XVIII° Secolo; Cappella di San Grato XVII°;). Risalendo la Valle di Champorcher, dopo una serie di ripidi tornanti atti a vincere il primo spalto, si raggiunge il Comune di Pont - Bozet o Pontboset (775 m, 5,5 Km. da Hône; Chiesa Parrocchiale di San Grato nel centro detto Villa, anteriore al 1600; voltone d'ingresso Medioevale; "granges", "rascards" e fontanelle in pietra; ponte con doppia arcata sul Torrente Ayasse; in località Fabrique sorse un'importante fonderia, detta la "Fabbrica dei chiodi"; nella piccola piazza del Municipio si trova anche l'Ostello "Lou Creton di Lui" ("La Cresta del Lupo") nell'edificio seicentesco che ospitava l'antica Parrocchia, oggi completamente restaurato; famosa Cappella del Gom 1727, proprio all'ingresso nel paese). Il caratteristico ed "arcigno" Comune é sito ai piedi delle alte pareti rocciose del Mont Charvatton (1787 m) ed alle pendici dell'"Orrido del Ratus" all'interno del Torrent Ayasse. Dal capoluogo sentiero segnalato che fà parte dei 4 "sentieri degli orridi" che attraversano i quattro comuni di Pont-Bozet ("Orrido di Ratus"), Champorcher ("Goille di Pourtset"), Fontainemore ("Gouffre de Guillemore") e Hône ("Tre Goilles de Hône"); risulta qual grande gorgia erosa ed escavata dal Torrente Brenve e quasi al termine del Vallone del Crest dove trovasi il Santuario di Re Tempio (1470 m). Questa risulta qual bella escursione che si può effettuare tramite il sentiero-mulattiera n° 3/3C/Alta Via n° 4 verso il Vallone della Manda per poi "rientrare" ad Oriente verso il Villaggio del Crest ed, attraversando quello di Brenve, raggiungere il Santuario, oppure con partenza dall'Orrido e risalendo quest'ultimo vallone (EE; 2h'15/2h'45). Una terza via ancora più lunga parte direttamente da Hône e passando accanto al Torrent Ayasse si ricongiunge alla precedente dal Crest appena sotto il medesimo presso le Alpi Albarey e Frontiere e sulla poderale. Continuando con la strada Regionale per Champorcher si incontrano le piccole Frazioni di Châtaigne, Piallemont, Trambesère, Savin, La Place (1020 m; Cappella ottogonale con iscrizione al riguardo della peste del 1630), Salleret e Meller (1293 m), da dove con sentiero n° 13A/14A si può proseguire con bell'escursione, nei tempi andati oggetto pure di Processione, per l'Oratorio di Santa Anna (1706 m) non lungi dal Colle Finestra (TE/F; 1h'15/1h'30). Oltre si raggiunge il Capoluogo di Château ((427 m; Torre Squadrata unico resto dell'antico Castello del 1100 dei Signori di Bard, dato a fuoco nel 1212 da parte di incursione armata di Guglielmo di Pont Saint Martin, uno dei tre fratelli tra i quali era scoppiata la contesa) e da questo, tramite la Strada Reale fatta costruire da "Re Toio" nel 1862, il Villaggio di Dondena (2097 m), sottostante al Mont Glacier ed al Mont Delà (3186 m, 3139 m). Donde, con sentiero n° 7B/7C/Alta Via n° 2, oppure, passando per il "Rifugio di Dondena"(2193 m) e con sentiero più a Mezzogiorno sotto il Mont de Dondena, con il n° 7/Alta Via n° 4 al Santuario del Miserin (2582 m; antico Oratorio diventato rinomato per i miracoli avvenuti durante la peste del 1630 del e trasformato in Cappella nel 1658 da parte di Pantaleone Savin; la stessa venne danneggiata dalle copiose nevicate (11 metri di neve) degli anni 1714 e 15 per la quale cosa nel 1717 sopra la medesima venne costruita una Chiesetta con tre altari. Il 5 Agosto secolare Processione dedicata alla "Madonna delle Nevi". L'avvenimento, grazie alla costruzione della Strada Reale tra Champorcher e Cogne, attirò anche gli abitanti di quest'ultima e di altre vallate attigue ed il Santuario, sempre più famoso, venne ampliato nel 1880 per intervento del famoso Abate Pierre Chanoux, Rettore dell'Ospizio del Piccolo San Bernardo ma nativo di Champorcher; Don Filiberto Noussan, Parroco di Champorcher, completò l'opera con la costruzione di un secondo piano tale da permettere il pernottamento di oltre 200 persone, mentre le presenze alla Processione hanno superato le 5.000 unità. Il Santuario é sito sulla sponda Settentrionale del Lago Miserin, che ostenta le sue acque azzurrissime, tra le più azzurre di tutti i Laghi della Val d'Aosta (2588 m; TE/F; 1h'20 e con più largo giro più a Settentrione verso il Rifugio di Dondena, il Mont de Dondena (2543 m) ed il Mont Rasciàs 1h'40).

Rosa dei Banchi (3164m) above the homonym vallon,

by Emilio Bertona aka emilius


No comments posted yet.