Volcan Baru Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Scott

Scott - May 10, 2004 9:55 pm - Voted 3/10

Untitled Comment

This mountain is the only spot in the world where you can see both the Atlantic and the Pacific Oceans at the same time.

You can also see both oceans from the Tierra del Fuego and from several peaks in Costa Rica (Cerro Ventisqueros, Cerro Chirripo, Cerro Terbi, Volcan Irazu, etc).

climbvr

climbvr - Dec 16, 2018 5:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Untitled Comment

From Baru you can see the Caribbean and the Pacific at the same time. On that front, it's the only place.

ChristianRodriguez

ChristianRodriguez - Feb 8, 2009 10:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Recomended route

The best route is from Cerro Punta town, more beautiful and technical route that Boquete. Boquete is a wide big road, and Cerro Punta is a tiny trail cover with full vegetation into a nice rain forest. After the rain forest, is the beginning of the tiny trail on the ridge of couple of crests. Giants falls each side, scary sometimes. Vegetation disapears in some momment, at this place is needed to climb a elevation of 150 or 200 mts high. A cable is fixed to the top for helping with the climb. Finally get a big crater, take the left hand path to the top, another easy climb on rocks and you will reach the summit. Aprox. 6 hours in an amazing and natural route. Normally just residents from Cerro Punta uses this path.

Storm2 - Mar 25, 2017 9:32 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Recomended route

Yeah, but this trail (Paso Ancho) is nowhere near Cerro Punta, it's in the town of Bambito, halfway between Volcan and Cerro Punta. I lost two hours looking for your trail in Cerro Punta.

PanamaD

PanamaD - Jan 23, 2014 5:29 pm - Voted 5/10

Best Route

In agreement with the previous poster, the route starting at the town of VOLCAN is by far the best option if you would like to experience this climb to the fullest. Going up via the town of Boquete is essentially walking 12km uphill on a steep, run down, dirt road (closely resembling a dry riverbed) with very Little scenery or panoramic views. If you are in good physical shape and are up for a challenge, then definately take the VOLCAN town route. There are many guides that can take you up to the cráter where camping is allowed. You will go through various stages of fauna and flora and will certainly enjoy some of the best views in Panama. You may also camp up by the Summit, near the radio and tv antennae, however I recommend the cráter as it makes for a much more comfortable (and interesting) campsite. Also, you may want to spend some time exploring the cráter and its unique ecosystem. I´ll be glad to help anyone with any questions about this hike. You can also check our hiking community on Facebook: Trepadores de Montaña United, for more info and tons of pictures of different trails around the country.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Volcan Baru' main page