Waiting out high winds in the Palisades, early 70s

Waiting out high winds in the Palisades, early 70s

Eastern Sierras,
Marcsoltan
on Mar 6, 2009 11:27 pm
Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing
Image ID: 495926

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-12 of 12
yatsek

yatsek - Mar 7, 2009 8:26 am - Voted 10/10

The 1970s

How heavy was your "sitting" bag?
(Mine were all around 2kg)

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Mar 7, 2009 9:31 am - Hasn't voted

Re: The 1970s

I think mine was about the same, 2 or 2.5 kgs. I have zero memory of it now.

Antonio Giani

Antonio Giani - Mar 7, 2009 10:01 am - Voted 10/10

Brrr...

Freddo Marc?

Ciao Antonio

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Mar 7, 2009 10:07 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Brrr...

Hi Antonio,
It was really NOT too freddo. It was very windy.
Grazie Antonio, Ciao,
Marc

ArankaP

ArankaP - Mar 7, 2009 3:42 pm - Voted 10/10

I'm wondering

What would get me out from that bag.

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Mar 7, 2009 8:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I'm wondering

I know what got ME out of that bag. Giving up on climbing the mountain and coming back down while it was still blowing like hell.
Thanks for dropping by Aranka,
Marc

shimshali

shimshali - Mar 9, 2009 9:05 am - Voted 6/10

REAL THRILLER

you seem to be a real adventureist......
I like the people who love adventure.

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Mar 9, 2009 9:26 am - Hasn't voted

Re: REAL THRILLER

Thank you shimshali. Being adventurous is good, but being stuck in a sleeping bag for a couple nights and a day wasn't. We gave up on the idea of climbing the mountain and headed back down in unrelenting high winds.
Thanks for the visit,
Marc

AJones

AJones - Mar 13, 2009 12:18 am - Voted 10/10

great photo

I love pictures from previous eras (i.e. the 70's, 80s, etc. - I 'd like to see more like this on SummitPost. Just looking at the gear of the day is interesting and quite a contrast to today's gear.

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Mar 13, 2009 12:29 am - Hasn't voted

Re: great photo

You are the only person to comment on the old gear. Good eye for those kinds of details.
BTW, I have glacier glasses on because of the glacier flower being blown around all the time. I think I slept with them on.

Thanks for dropping by and the comment,
Marc

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Mar 28, 2009 11:34 am - Hasn't voted

The historical perspective...

...is awesome.

...especally because we all know, thanks to other 70's era photos you've posted, that you've got some groovy sideburns under that hood. (Is that COTTON, by the way? LOL!)

On an analytical note, while a lot of the gear in the photo looks different than what's in use today, the hiking boots have clearly not evolved far beyond "foot-torturing waffle stompers".

Sarah

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Mar 28, 2009 1:55 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: The historical perspective...

Hi Sarah, Nothing gets past your eagle eyes.
Yes, I did have side burns under the hood then. Facial hair was in fashion, for people who were slave to fashion, myself included.
As to the gear, yes, everything was different, but you know, they worked just as well. You just had to carry a heavier load all the time. In my case, I used to go without a sleeping bag, except for winters.
This photo was taken in December, no snow on the ground yet, but still cold.
The hood may have been cotton, or cotton polyester blend. I can't remember.
As to the boots, Leather boots were heavy and cumbersome, but after ten blisters on your feet you would get used to the pain. Nowadays, they make plastic boots that look like leather, but weigh half as much.

The ground pads would break into little pieces when it got very cold. The ropes were heavy and not water proof. And, it keeps going from there.
Thank you for your sense of humor Sarah.
Marc

Viewing: 1-12 of 12