Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Jan 25, 2007 11:55 pm - Voted 10/10

You got a TR now, Gristle!

Seriously, I think the "object type" can be changed to Trip Report nearly painlessly. I tried changing things from one category to another before. The worst surprises were the disappearing coordinates / topozone links, but there are none in the "album" category anyway. EDITED: oops, I see you've just done it!

As to the bits of info to add, I would add that it was Grizz and Lee's track which we followed through the cirque to the 10,000 mark. My personal highlights of the trip? Those were slightly embarassing, from the lack of ice axe or GPS, to the freezing prawns, to the pants torn lengthwise from ankle through the the crotch all the way to the belt. But at least my "built-in GPS" worked like a clock LOL. Nice summit!

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jan 26, 2007 4:50 pm - Voted 10/10

Good Report

Here are some of my observations. It was a beautiful and “hazy” day for the annual Lone Peak winter climb. The temperatures had been unusually cold and I was dressed in three layers of warm clothes. I was hoping that the early morning start would get my energy going. The cold weather seemed to suck the life out of me and my feet were numb. My water bottle had frozen within a half hour of hiking.

I didn’t make it to the summit but still enjoyed hiking with everyone. Grizz had a strong group of people with him this year so I was sure that everything would be fine. I descended back down the mountain and noticed that the weather was still very nice. After I got back home the weather had deteriorated and it was snowing quite heavily.

I wondered about how everyone was doing on Lone Peak. I later found out that four of them had become lost in that snow storm high on the mountain. Some of them didn’t make it back down until after 8:00 at night. Needless to say, these type of group mountain climbs always turn out to be interesting and memorable.

WaltHaas

WaltHaas - Feb 1, 2007 5:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Third Time Ever on Snowshoes

I borrowed some snowshoes for Lone Peak because the snow conditions looked ugly for skiing. This was my third time ever on snowshoes, and maybe my last :-) If I ever do get into snowshoeing, I won't buy slippery plastic ones, and I'll remember to bring ski poles. Griz kindly loaned me one of his poles, which helped a lot.

aiadvisors

aiadvisors - Feb 4, 2007 5:40 am - Voted 10/10

Joe's hurt bad.

I just heard on the news that Joe Bullough was caught in an avalanche near White Pines and was choppered to the hospital unconscious. Keep him in your prayers all.

aiadvisors

aiadvisors - Feb 4, 2007 5:47 am - Voted 10/10

I wanna do this in '08...

...But I know I'm not in good enough shape and I don't have enough gear. But I do have a GPS Grizz. Get well soon Joe.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Wasatch Mountain Club's 2007 Winter Ascent of Lone Peak' main page