Viewing: 1-15 of 15
munroitis

munroitis - Nov 26, 2006 1:02 am - Voted 10/10

Quite a coincidence.

Not sure if you know or not, but Watereton Park is named after Sir Charles Waterton. Sir Charles was a resident of an English village called Walton and his home is still to be found in the village. By coincidence I live 2 miles from Walton and regularly pass by Waterton Park. My understanding is that he gave his name to Watereton Park in Canada as a result of his early conservation work. By way of extra information it is widely accepted that Sir Charles kept the first collection of wild animals in the UK (therefore the first zoo).

In 2002 I visited Waterton Park and saw it in all its glory. It realy is an amazing place. You don't need me to descibe it, but I was in my element and simply drooling over the hills on show.

Cheers Chris

munroitis

munroitis - Nov 26, 2006 1:05 am - Voted 10/10

Waterton park hotel.

By the way I visited the hotel and can testify that its location is absolutely first class. Your picture of the view certainly takes me back a few years.

T Sharp

T Sharp - Nov 26, 2006 4:02 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Waterton park hotel.

Thanks for the nice comments. Hopefuly when the page is completed it will intice you to reprise your visit.
Cheers;
Tim

Michael Hoyt

Michael Hoyt - Dec 4, 2006 11:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Looking Great

Tim,

The page looks great. The information you've included is awsume and I know that once you've added pictures from your trip north, the page will be perfect!

/Mike

T Sharp

T Sharp - Dec 5, 2006 12:47 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Looking Great

Thanks for the encouragement Mike! I am actually really looking forward to getting up there this winter, Mountains are so striking with snow on them. I am just hoping for clear weather!
Cheers;
Tim

Dean

Dean - Dec 25, 2006 7:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Great page

I love that area. You've done a nice job to showcase it with lots of information and links. I wish I had some pics to help out but the last time I was up there was when I was a teenager and had no camera that was able to take decent shots (brownie hawkeye)>

T Sharp

T Sharp - Dec 26, 2006 12:00 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great page

Thank you for the nice comments Dean. I remember those Brownie cameras! Our family albums are filled with grainy B&W`s of kids, and dogs, and picnics, taken with the Hawkeye!
Cheers;
Tim

T Sharp

T Sharp - Dec 29, 2006 5:21 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Very nice page!

Thank you very much for the nice comments Lolli. Saintgrizzly and I are meeting this weekend to make a schedule and a plan to head up there. Hope for clear weather for our photo expedition!
Best Regards;
Tim

jav1460

jav1460 - May 22, 2007 4:10 pm - Voted 10/10

Scramble Routes/Climbs

Tim,
I hope you do not mind if I add some climbing routes, and some more peaks. My Wife and I have climbed Approx 15 in the park, and have pictures to supplement the descriptive routes

distressbark

distressbark - Dec 29, 2008 6:40 am - Hasn't voted

nice page

would love to contribute more pictures to the cause, but i've only spent one day in Waterton and have not explored much of the park. perhaps this summer will be different! great information and photos.

T Sharp

T Sharp - Dec 30, 2008 10:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: nice page

Thanks for the props! It is spectacular country! Drop me a pm when you add the photos of this coming summer, and I will try to incorporate them into the text.
Cheers;
Tim

jadesmith - Oct 15, 2010 1:41 am - Hasn't voted

waterton national park

Waterton National Park is quiet uncrowded. It is a perfect place to have a view of the spectacular scenery, wildlife and enjoy outstanding recreational opportunities. The uniqueness of this park is the blend of unusual geology, mild climate, rare wild flowers, and abundance of wildlife. World is changing by time but the beauty of the waterton national park has remained unchanged for centuries.
http://www.travelamerica360.com/glacier-and-waterton-national-park-a-miracle-of-nature.html

T Sharp

T Sharp - Oct 19, 2010 1:17 am - Hasn't voted

Re: waterton national park

Mild Climate?????????????

vanman798

vanman798 - Apr 28, 2015 11:47 am - Hasn't voted

Re: waterton national park

Yes, Waterton does host a mild climate. It's not sunny San Diego, but I'd call it mild when you consider that it has (0n average) the warmest winters in the Province of Alberta.

vanman798

vanman798 - Apr 28, 2015 12:15 pm - Hasn't voted

25 Named Peaks

I compared the list of peaks you link to in your write up (see http://www.glaciermountaineers.com/pdfforms/peaks-waterton.pdf) to the list on Dave Birrels site (see http://www.peakfinder.com/displaypark.asp?ParkName=Waterton), and even though one list 32 peaks and the other lists 30 peaks, I have concluded there are 25 named peaks in Waterton.

Allow me to explain.

Both lists include 6 ridges (which I wouldn't count as peaks). Also the glaciermountaineers pdf includes Bears Hump which isn't a peak, but rather a named feature on the east side of Mount Crandell. Dave Birrels list appears to be missing two peaks namely Kishinena Peak, and Festubert Mountain.

So if you subtract the six ridges and Bears Hump from the 32 "peaks" listed on the glaciermountaineers pdf you arrive at 25 named peaks in Waterton. Likewise if you subtract the six ridges from Dave Birrels list and add in the two missing peaks you come up with 25 again!

Anyways thought this might be helpful information.

Here are the names of Watertons 25 named Peaks:

1. Alderson, Mount
2. Anderson Peak
3. Bauerman, Mount
4. Bellevue Hill
5. Bertha Peak
6. Blakiston, Mount
7. Boswell, Mount
8. Buchanan Peak
9. Carthew, Mount
10. Crandell, Mount
11. Dungarvan, Mount
12. Festubert Mountain
13. Forum Peak
14. Galwey, Mount
15. Glendowan, Mount
16. Hawkins, Mount
17. Kishinena Peak
18. Lineham, Mount
19. Lone Mountain
20. Lost Mountain
21. Newman Peak
22. Richards, Mount
23. Rowe, Mount
24. Sofa Mountain
25. Vimy Peak

Viewing: 1-15 of 15
Return to 'Waterton Lakes National Park' main page