Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Dean

Dean - Jun 19, 2009 9:53 pm - Voted 10/10

Ticks

I imagine you checked your dogs for ticks as they are sometimes
very plentiful in that area. Thanks for highlighting with your trip report a very neglected area. I used to live in the Tri Cities and we took boy scout troops in there for a lot of hiking.
Ticks? Yeah, we had to be careful. One leader had to have one surgically removed from his scalp.

ekinsja

ekinsja - Jun 20, 2009 1:01 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Ticks

You're welcome. Not many people around here seem to know much about the area. Seems like they all head for places farther east. It seemed like a good place to go for long hikes and good views without breaking the bank on tanks of gas for the car. I had to get out there to explore, and I am glad I did. Sounds like you have had some good times there, too.

As for the dogs, yes, I checked them out each afternoon (I grew up in north Florida, and have had a couple deeply imbedded, though not so bad as to require surgery!). I also use Revolution, which is one of those "between the shoulders, once-a-month" topical parasite repellent. It's probably tough on their livers, but it seems to work. Besides, I think that it was early enough in the season that they weren't out in force yet.

Take care,

Jim

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Wenaha-Tucannon Long-distance hiking' main page