Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.92556°N / 122.16913°W
Additional Information County: Skamania
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3858 ft / 1176 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Info

West point is a peak near the Siouxon creek area that has a summit of 3858 feet. The summit used to have a lookout tower, but it is now gone. There is little information out there for this peak, so I was curious and set out to hike it.

Total miles: 3.6 mi round trip
Elevation gained: 900 ft

Trail: From parking at the start of the road. Walk a mile till there is a large downed pile of wood blocking the road. The path continues up from here and leads through a small brush of flowers and plants. This path soon goes through a small path of trees which opens up into an exposed cliff that you walk along and ahead until you can see two large rocks marking the area leading to the summit. From here continue walking up the path/road until it starts turning into a small path overgrown in plants. This path should continue up to the summit.

Instead of going up that path we directly headed to the summit via a small scramble path below. Heading straight up head for a small outcrop of rocks. Looking up from here you can see the true summit Follow the incline all the way to a small path that leads to the summit. Near the top of the path it splits and there is a lower summit and a higher true summit of West Point. There are steps built into the rocks of the lower summit and the lookout foundation is on the higher summit.

Directions

Head to Healy RD in Chelatchie prairie. From there drive down FR 54 to FR 57. Half the road is washed out on 54 and it is a very tight fit for any vehicle with low clearance. Up FR 57 drive up pass the junction to Siouxion area and continued on FR 57 till Calamity Peak RD. Turn right on CP rd till reach RD 315 and park near the start or continue on till reaching the wood pile that blocks the road. Parking near the start of the road adds about another mile.

Red Tape

None just keep the trail clean

Camping

Lots of areas looked great for camping and saw a few spots where someone had a fire.

External Links

Driving directions

MyTopo Map

Map

West Point Google Earth Map