West Slopes Comments

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Federico1

Federico1 - Oct 7, 2009 10:51 am - Hasn't voted

Comment on permission and glacier equipment

Hi,
Nevado del Ruiz is part of a National Park and since 2008 the access to the summit is strictly controlled. - Not so much due to risks of eruption, but because mass tourism offers more money than some few mountaineers.

I went in 2008. After paying entrance and being put under the guidance of an obligatory guide, we went up to the Refuge (rebuilt) and parking area at 4.800m. From this point you can walk up with other tourists until the so called "mirador" (sight seeing point) at 5.146m. Here is the border of the glacier and you get a view to Nevado Santa Isabel and Nevado del Tolima.

In consultation with our obligatory guide, I was informed that a "special permit" for climbing the summit can be obtained at least 2 weaks beforehand, and the cost for the guidance was 100 dollar.

The glacier is in the lower part snow-free - melt continues - so part of the walk would be hard ice - and crevassed. Ropes and crampons are obligatory.

Scott

Scott - Oct 7, 2009 9:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Comment on permission and glacier equipment

Thanks for the updated information. It's been 11 years since we have been there, so this will help.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'West Slopes' main page