What kind of animal am I?

What kind of animal am I?

I took this photo this afternoon while driving in the Santa Barbara back country. This guy, ran across the road and stopped in the brush to look at me. It didn't look like a coyote or a wolf, but something like a cross between the two. Frankly, it looks like a dingo to me, but we are an ocean away from Australia. Can someone identify him/her?
Marcsoltan
on Jan 28, 2009 12:14 am
Image Type(s): Wildlife
Image ID: 484002

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-18 of 18
Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Jan 28, 2009 11:03 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Siyeh?

What would a dingo, or siyeh, if it is what we suspect, be doing here in Santa Barbara?

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Jan 28, 2009 11:17 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Siyeh?

hahaha...

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Jan 28, 2009 1:54 pm - Hasn't voted

That is a

Red Wolf, cross between a Coyotte and a Wolf.. They are mean and fast. Stay away.

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Jan 28, 2009 2:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: That is a

Thanks Steve, I just sent you a PM.
This one was freaked by seeing me, but when I drove for a closer look it took off like a lightening, and diappeared into a very steep and brushy slope.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Jan 28, 2009 10:36 pm - Voted 10/10

I'm not an authority on

wild critters, but I sense some cross-breeding going on here. I mean, look at those ears!

If northern CA has the Sasquatch rumors going
around, then I wouldn't be surprised if
some unique creature isn't running around in
the Santa Barbara area. Nice shot, Marc!

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Jan 29, 2009 12:40 am - Hasn't voted

Re: I'm not an authority on

Steve of Deltaoperator17 says it's a red wolf. But, we can't figure out what in the world it's doing here in the mountains of SB. I know we have cougars, coyotes and bears, but a red wolf!!!!
Thanks Larry,
Marc

Anya Jingle

Anya Jingle - Jan 29, 2009 3:26 am - Voted 10/10

Hi Marc

What makes you think he wasn't a coyote? His large ears and a small foxlike head remind me of a coyote.
Regards, AJ.

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Jan 29, 2009 9:41 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Hi Marc

Hi Anya,
This guy was by far larger than any coyote I have ever seen. It's color was quite brownish, and it seems to have multi-colored head. Steve of "deltaoperatot17" says it's a Red Wolf.
But, we can't figure out why he is in central California. I am thinking I should report seeing him to "Fish and Games" people.
Thanks for checking it out,
Marc

yatsek

yatsek - Jan 29, 2009 12:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Coy

To my mind, an atypical coyote or coydog rather than a (red) wolf - shy anyway, right?:)

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Jan 29, 2009 7:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Coy

This one seemed to be a little shy, but Steve of deltaoperator17 thinks it's a red wolf and they are usually mean and fast. He's warning me to stay away.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Jan 29, 2009 10:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Coy

I think if you called the CA Fish & Game, they
would also advise you to "stand clear" of this mysterious critter.

That was a fortunate quirk of fate that you
were able to capture it on camera. Now, you
have the proof if you decide to report it.

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Feb 3, 2009 3:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Coy

So here is how it could happen, Someone has a wolf as a pet(yes the people do that), wolf escapes into the wilderness area, cant find a mate of its own color or breed, bred with a coyote and BAM, you get what the they refer to in the Southeastern USA as Red Wolf. I would definitely get Fish and Game involved and demand a report back on what it is. They like to keep that stuff to themselves (at least here in Idaho). My money is that's what happened. Migrating form Idaho or neighboring states or the Southeast would not be as likely. I sent you another pic of one; you will see what I am talking about.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Feb 3, 2009 7:04 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Coy

Steve appears to be right on the money.

I also suggest contacting CA Fish & Game.

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Feb 3, 2009 7:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Coy

Steve,
I seem to be having a hard time finding the right people to talk to. How hard can it be to get a phone number for CA Fish and Game Depertment, I wonder!
But, your assesment seems very likely to be true. Believe it or not, the first thing that came to my mind the first day was that it could have been a runaway pet. Thank God it wasn't a tiger. We had one runaway tiger a couple of years ago. They ended up killing the poor animal, or may be the fortunate animal. I'm sure it would not have survived on it's own.

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Feb 3, 2009 8:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Coy

Steve,
Thank God for the Internet. I found a good number for them. I'm sure they are closed right now, but I'll call them in the morning.

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Feb 4, 2009 12:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Coy

Steve,
After much searching I found the person in charge of Dept Fish and games in my area. I guided him to the photo, and had him look at the pic. I also told him everything you told me. At first he said it looks like a coyote to him, but he is thinking about it.
He said they don't keep records of animal sightings, but if he hears about any other reports he will let me know. They also don't go looking for this creature, it's not part of what they do. I think this is all that I can do at this time. Like you said, it's probably a pet that got away.

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Feb 4, 2009 1:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Coy

My opinion was this: A "Gray Wolf" pet escaped captivity, it had no other Gray Wolf comrades, it bred with a coyote and THIS would be the offspring, if that is the case there are a couple more of these within 150 miles of this location.

They need to go look for it, it will cause some havoc within the normal cycle that currently exists. If this thing and its siblings breed, you could have a pack of these animals and then F&G will have bigger issues.

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Feb 4, 2009 1:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Coywolf/Red Wolf

CoyWolf or Red Wolf or Eastern Canadian Wolf
The only other answer is that coyotes and wolves have bred together. Recent genetic evidence shows this to be the case. Even further it shows that the wolf of the East is really the Red wolf and is very closely related to the coyote maybe even just variations of each other. Neither the Red wolf (or now called the Eastern Canadian wolf) or the coyote associate much with the much larger gray wolf thought they can all interbreed.
Unfortunately some groups do not like this new animal either. This new species is already under tremendous pressure from humans as having to adapt to increasing human population and unlimited hunting pressures. Many coywolves are killed every year by those who refuse to coexist with them.
However the coywolf is to be admired, for they are filling the niche they belong in as a top of the food-chain predator. They control deer populations as in some areas deer constitute 80% of their diet. They also prey on marmots and muskrats and heavily on beaver and hares and rabbits. They are a very important predator in the Eastern ecosystem. They can adapt to humans and agriculture (coyotes) and fill the role of a top predator regulating large prey populations (wolves) and every scale in between. Lets support the new wolf has deservingly evolved to fill the void left by our prejudice.

Viewing: 1-18 of 18