Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Klenke

Klenke - Oct 17, 2006 7:01 pm - Hasn't voted

What is Rendezvous era?

Perhaps provide a link to explain this. I was first thinking it was a Wyoming answer to beating the Prohibition. But maybe it's something else...about a ghost town called Rendezvous.

brendon

brendon - Oct 17, 2006 7:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: What is Rendezvous era?

Way before prohibition... this was back during mountain man times. I rewrote that sentence to be less ambiguous, maybe. I'll see if I can find more detailed information.

jfrishmanIII

jfrishmanIII - Oct 17, 2006 8:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Rendezvous

"The tradition of the rendezvous was started by General William Ashley's men of the Rocky Mountain Fur Company in 1825. What began as a practical gathering to exchange pelts for supplies and reorganize trapping units evolved into a month long carnival in the middle of the wilderness. The gathering was not confined to trappers, and attracted women and children, Indians, French Canadians, and travelers. Mountain man James Beckworth described the festivities as a scene of "mirth, songs, dancing, shouting, trading, running, jumping, singing, racing, target-shooting, yarns, frolic, with all sorts of extravagances that white men or Indians could invent." An easterner gave his view: "mountain companies are all assembled on this season and make as crazy a set of men I ever saw." There were horse races, running races, target shooting and gambling. Whiskey drinking accompanied all of them."

From:http://xroads.virginia.edu/~hyper/HNS/Mtmen/lifestyle.html

I believe most of these happened in Northern Utah and Southern Wyoming: Vernal area, Cache Valley, upper Green River, &c. The Bridger and Fitzpatrick Wildernesses, Ashley Nat. Forest, and lots of other things are named after those guys.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Whiskey Mountain' main page