Viewing: 1-7 of 7
mattpayne11

mattpayne11 - Apr 26, 2009 12:09 am - Hasn't voted

Memorial Day

Hello - thank you for the route description.

Is this approach doable in the Memorial Day time-frame?

RyanS

RyanS - Apr 26, 2009 4:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Memorial Day

I've had several good May trips to the Lake San Cristobal area. You'd probably be good to go.

mattpayne11

mattpayne11 - Apr 26, 2009 4:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Woohoo

Thank you Ryan!

mattpayne11

mattpayne11 - May 19, 2009 10:55 am - Hasn't voted

More questions

Ryan, your responses have been outstanding, thank you!
In regards to the trail going up these mountains, I was looking at the TOPO map and it shows a road leading up from the Castle Lakes that eventually becomes the trail. I believe you mention that the trail meets up with this road.

Is there access up this road at all from the lakes? I was thinking this was maybe a good way to start the hike.

Additionally, what is the camping situation like near the lakes and/or trailhead?

RyanS

RyanS - May 20, 2009 5:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: More questions

Hi Matt, that road would be nice except access to it is on private property -- the Castle Lakes Ranch or somesuch. My route description gets you around the private property.

mattpayne11

mattpayne11 - May 20, 2009 5:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanks

OK that makes sense, do you know what the camping is like in the area?

RyanS

RyanS - May 22, 2009 7:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks

Official or backcountry? Officially, there's copious camping along the Cinnamon Pass Road. There's at least two or three BLM campgrounds on that road.

I like the Mills Creek CG. If you have the Roach 14er book, it references that CG in the Sunshine Peak section. It's past the Castle Lakes area -- you can see "Mill Gulch" on the Redcloud Peak quad.

Backcountry, I honestly can't remember. The meadow just NW of Point 10,490 is pretty marshy if memory serves.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Williams Creek Trail' main page