Winter Ascent

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 46.27170°N / 5.98350°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jan 28, 2006
What better time of year to climb "The Snow Crest" Cret de la Neige than in winter!! I have as a goal during my 3 year stay here in France to climb the high point of each "range" in this beautiful varied country. Cret de la Neige, the highest mountain in the Jura, certianly makes this list. My wife and I made a combined skiing / climbing trip to the Jura mountains and stayed in Mijoux near the top of the Valserine valley. Four kilometers down the valley in the ski town of Lelex was my starting point at a elevation of about 900m. Elevation gain is important to me and from this "base" of the mountain you climb almost half it's height. For those wishing to get to the summit by an easier method you can take the telecabine (ski lift), during the times of year it operates, for 6 euros to the Catheline station (1450m) and basically hike the ridge, southeast, from there. I had lunch at the Catheline station after my climb. The trail signs in Lelex indicate 3 hours for an ascent from town. I did it slightly faster in snowshoes taking minimal breaks. The summit is fairly non-descript. There are small pine trees dotting the terrain and one wonders if Le Reculet 1 kilometer farther southeast down the ridge, with it's tall iron cross, might be higher. In fact only a meter separate the elevations of these 2 highest Jura summits. Many consider the view from the Monts Jura, as the entire ridge is called, to be one of the most beautiful mountian views in France. Looking southeast across Geneva and Lac Leman, you have a commanding view of the Mt Blanc Massif 90km away.

Comments

No comments posted yet.