Yovimpa Point, Bryce, Utah

Yovimpa Point, Bryce, Utah

Page Type Page Type: Custom Object
Additional Information Object Type: Trail on the map
Additional Information County: Kane

Bryce Canyon's far south end of the road

Bryce Canyon is known for hoodoos (shades of orange rock formations remaining after erosion) and not for forest. Ponderosa pines along with other more common varieties of trees are here. There are several named trails in the canyon. Yovimpa Point trail starts and ends at the highest elevation. Closed for long stretches in the winter, this trail is best visited in summer and fall. Bring all provisions since the Canyon offers no supplies past Ruby's Inn store and lodging. The visitor center has papers and books, and the lodge has a dining room with excellent food and surroundings.

Utah's Highway 12 brings you here too:

US Highway 89 was one of the first highways to be paved through three states. About 10 miles south of Panguitch, Utah scenic Highway 12 takes off to the east. After about 15 miles east on Highway 12, Utah highway 63 begins southbound to Bryce Canyon. The first miles of the Canyon appear to be forest, unless you exit the car and look to the east. Continuing to the end of the highway 63 is the trailhead. Climbing in the mountains of the Paunsaugunt Plateau, your car arrives at over 9000-feet. A hiking trail takes off into the trees. Said to be about 9-miles, it is at least that. Many trees have been broken, tipped over, and damaged. An unusually powerful storm must have occurred this year. The trail is easy to follow, but elevation continues to change. When you arrive home tell everyone you just visited "the eroded east-face of the Paunsaugunt Plateau" and they will be impressed.

A Little History:

Ebenezer Bryce homesteaded in the area in 1875. The Park was established in 1928 by Herbert Hoover. The first promoter of tourism was the railroad, seeing business possibilities before cars, tires, and asphalt were everywhere. Rail traffic saw lovely china, real silverware, and sleeping cars as profitable. The park is open year-round, but winter brings snow for different adventures. The road to Fairyland Point is closed for cross-country skiing. Pay good attention to languages spoken by visitors: mainly foreign (European) and others. The location is a destination planned for a long time. Thousands of miles had to be traveled. Bringing money to here is appreciated.