2009 & 2010 Comments

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
davebobk47

davebobk47 - Jan 7, 2009 10:34 am - Voted 10/10

Transition

Thanks for sharing, I found this piece very interesting. I think I'm still a few years behind you in the transition from hikier/climber to photographer. I'm looking forward to seeing your 2009 photos. Cheers, Dave

jfrishmanIII

jfrishmanIII - Jan 8, 2009 10:19 am - Hasn't voted

I completely understand

Photography has come to dominate my relationship to the outdoors as well. It definitely changes the equation when I'm more concerned about where I'll be during the good light than making the summit, when bad weather is a bonus. It still drives me toward vertical terrain much of the time, at I can't imagine that will ever change. But shots from a summit are seldom the most photogenic views to be had on a mountain. Photography drives me toward exploring some odd places that I otherwise wouldn't visit. I love how every goal-oriented outdoor activity-- peakpagging, photography, hunting, fishing, mushroom gathering, etc.-- gives you a different relationship to the landscape and sends you into different parts of it.

Your shots are awesome, Kane! Do you have any other website?

Kane

Kane - Jan 10, 2009 11:27 am - Hasn't voted

Re: I completely understand

Thanks for the nice comments.

I don't have another website however I'm working towards building one in the next year. This year will be dedicated to getting shots for the site. I need more better ones if I'm going to take this "mountain photography" thing seriously.

Did I read somewhere that you were shooting a D700?

I'm upgrading from 200 to D300 in the next few weeks. I already have very good DX glass so that will be a nice upgrade and transition. I do want the D700 and I may suck it up and pick up the 24-70 2.8 FX lens this year while I have the funds. Next year when the d700x comes out the 700 should dip below 2,000.00 and I'll sell all my DX and upgrade. I'll already have the 24-70.

We will see.

Kane

jfrishmanIII

jfrishmanIII - Jan 12, 2009 1:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I completely understand

I wish I were shooting a D700! A lowly D40 was all I could afford last spring (my film SLR bit the dust a while back, and I'd been in a broke spell since). But I'm still making my best shots ever with it; the DSLR you actually own will always beat the DSLR in the window. I too will be watching for Full-frame prices to creep down in the next couple years. FX and better lenses are the next step for me gear-wise. In the meantime, there's no substitute for just getting out a lot.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to '2009 & 2010' main page