2009 - 4 days canoe trip on Ausable River

2009 - 4 days canoe trip on Ausable River

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Nov 30, 0000

Ausable River, MI

Ausable River map
Canoe Harbor is one of the many popular canoeing places on Ausable River. The headwaters and the mainstream of the AuSable River flow within 15 min driving distance from Grayling.
The Ausable River in Michigan runs approximately 129 miles (208 km)[2] through the northern Lower Peninsula, through the towns of Grayling (Grayling is located in the middle of Nothern Michigan situated approximately 4 hours driving distance from Detroit on HWY 75 North) and Mio, and enters Lake Huron at Oscoda. It is considered one of the best brown trout fisheries east of the Rockies and has been designated a Blue Ribbon trout stream by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources. In French, Ausable literally means "with sand". Most of the main branch of the Ausable flows through or adjacent to the Huron-Manistee National Forest.

Day 1

Since we are located in Canada, we spent this day driving to our location and staying overnight at Canoe Harbor State Forest Campground
Directions to the campgraound

Day 2

Canoe Harbour, MI
After a good breakfast, we drove to Watters Edge Canoe Livery to pick up our canoes with all cars, leaving left only one car at the campground, in case of emergency.
We began paddling down the stream on the river back to the same campground approximately for 3 1/2 hours.
We spent the rest of the day playing volleyball, eating, drinking and enjoying the bonfire.

Day 3

The next morning we packed up our tents and continued paddling on the river for about 8 hours to our next location with one break for lunch.
Diesel
As you can see, our dog Diesel was worried to be left behind and did not move from his location, till we picked all the gear and loaded it on the canoe. Even though she is normally afraid of water she got used to the ride on the canoe.

Day 4

3 days trip on canoe
Continue on the river to Mio Dam Pond, our last location, where we were picked up by Canoe Harbor rental personnel who drove us back to our cars.
If you chose to continue on the Ausable river for 3 more days, you would reach the shore of Lake Huron.

Ausable River map

Ausable River Michigan

Comments

No comments posted yet.