23-days in Tanzania!

23-days in Tanzania!

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 3.0667°S / 37.35000°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Feb 5, 2004
First off, I'd like to thank the staff of Basecamp Tanzania, & especially, the owner Achmed. They provided a well-organized, always fun, & quite affordable trip! We started out climbing Mt. Meru for 4-days, this mountain will spoil you! The scenery was excellent. There was wildlife on the lower slopes of the mountain, & the trail affords great views of Kilimanjaro! The two campsites we stayed at were terrific! The summit day was tough, but just a warm-up for the big one! After Mt. Meru, we spent 2-days relaxing in Marangu. It was a small town on the slopes of Kilimanjaro, nice & relaxing place! Now, the fun begins! We started from the Lemosho Gate, spent the 1st-night at the Big tree camp, then went on to Shira camp #1. The 3rd night was spent at Shira camp #2, followed by, Lava Tower, for our 4th night. Our 5th night was at Glacier hut. We had good weather for the first 3-days, then it turned for the worst! We had 2-days of rain, down-low, followed-by, 2-days of heavy snow! We were taking the Western Breach, because we wanted a bit of a challange! We got our challange! The route was covered in snow, & the rocks had a thin glaze of ice over them. This made for quite a tough summit day, but also very rewarding! After all the mountains, we all enjoyed a 6-day safari to the following National Parks: Lake Manyara, Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater, & Tarangire. this was a great experience for us, to see these animals in the wild, & be a part of it all! Afterwards, we went back to Arusha for a few days, to collect our thoughts, & reflect on the time we had!

Comments

No comments posted yet.