3 T's Trip Report - Oct. 13, 2007

3 T's Trip Report - Oct. 13, 2007

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 34.26140°N / 117.5972°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Dec 31, 1969
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall

Overview

I hadn't done this hike before, and seeing as my 9 Peaks plans fell through, I decided to have a go at it.

Awesome peak bagging day. Perfect fall weather between 50 and 60 degrees with the occasional slight breeze. My forest adventure pass had expired, so I had to stop by the visitor's center in Baldy Village and pick up a pass. Luckily I had to do this because I hadn't realized you need a wilderness permit to enter the Cucamonga Wilderness.

With that out of the way I headed up Icehouse Canyon. Awesome fall foliage with lots of bright yellows and oranges and the stream flowing until the wilderness boundary. From there you head across the wash and switchback up through the pine forest, eventually reaching Icehouse Saddle. Passed quite a few hikers on the way to the saddle, some of which were more than apprehensive about letting me pass through. This one flippin' tub was right in the middle of the trail huffing and puffing his way up and even after I said "Excuse me" TWICE he refused to move out of the way, so I literally had to jump around him.

But I digress....

Reaching the saddle, the crowds were left behind and I had the ridge to myself. I didn't see anyone else up until the time I hit Telegraph Peak. First stop, however, was Timber Mountain at 1hr 40min after starting. Not much of a view off this peak, but heading on towards the saddle between Timber and Telegraph was pretty awesome. Clouds had moved in on both sides of the ridge, and there I was in the sun with a sea of clouds on both side. (Sorry, no pics. Camera is in the shop.)

The climb after the saddle up to Telegraph is moderate and, sometimes, thin. Lots of manzanita in the lower-half which could stand a trim. Weather was perfect, though. Slight breeze, sunny, and right around 55 degrees.

Finally got over to Telegraph Peak around 3hrs and 7mins after starting and decided to take a break. Two older gentleman on the summit taking in the views. Really great visibility over the desert and towards Baldy. From here, the bowl looks REALLY steep, and you could just barely make out the green ski hut.

It was now just after 1:00p.m. and I had to be in Pomona by 5:00 to pick up my wife. Looking down off the peak you can see Thunder Mountain with the small hut on top. So close, but nearly 2.5 miles (round trip) because you have to switchback down to a saddle, then head over to the hut..... hmmmm It's already taken me 3 hours to get here, plus maybe an hour to go and bag Thunder....That would put me at 4 hours from now, which is when I should be in Pomona....NOT GOOD.

Well, it's time to start running.

I had rested on top of Telegraph for about 15 minutes, which is the longest break I took all day. Took a quick picture for the gentleman on the summit, and I was off. 20 minutes later I was over at Thunder. Signed the register and immediately turned around. It took me about 25 minutes to get back to the Telegraph summit turn-off from the summit of Thunder. I was starting to feel a little wiped, and every once in a while I could feel my hand going slightly numb. Whoah. Time to slow down, Barney.

Luckily, after getting to the Telegraph turn-off the trail is pretty much downhill, with the exception of one short uphill. Got back to the car at 3:46p.m. Time to spare! The whole trip had taken about 5hrs 47 minutes. Popped a couple of ibuprofen, and I was off to Pomona.

Great day of alpine walking and summit bagging. By the way, no snow on Baldy or any of the surrounding peaks, despite rumors of the snow level dropping to 8000 feet the night before.

Looking at the data, it seems like just under 16 miles total, just over 6000 feet elevation gain, just under 6 hours.

Gusto

Elevation and Time Profile

The distances between summit turnoffs are estimated, as are the distances to the saddles between summits. All information gathered from Tom Harris "Angeles High Country" Map and my own data log during the hike.

Area Clock Time
Trailhead 10:13 a.m.
Icehouse Saddle 11:20a.m.
Timber Turnoff 11:42a.m.
Timber Mtn 12:49 p.m.
Telegraph Peak 1:09 p.m.
Thunder Peak 1:29 p.m.
Telegraph Turnoff 1:55 p.m.
Timber Turnoff 2:37 p.m.
Icehouse Saddle 2:47 p.m.
Trailhead 3:46 p.m.


Area Elevation Gain/Loss
Trailhead 0
Icehouse Saddle 2655
Timber Turnoff 515
Timber Mtn 233
Timber Turnoff -233
Notch -620
Tel. Turnoff 1370
Telegraph Peak 165
Tel.Turnoff -165
Notch -660
Thunder Peak 427
Notch -427
Tel.Turnoff 660
Notch -660
Timber Turnoff -90
Icehouse Saddle -515
Trailhead -2655

Area leg Distance
Trailhead 0
Icehouse Saddle 3.4
Timber Turnoff 0.7
Timber Mtn 0.25
Timber Turnoff 0.25
Timber/Telegraph Notch 0.8
Telegraph Turnoff 1.2
Telegraph Peak 0.25
Telegraph Turnoff 0.25
Telegraph Thunder Notch 0.7
Thunder Peak 0.5
Telegraph Thunder Notch 0.5
Telegraph Turnoff 0.7
Timber/Telegraph Notch 1.2
Timber Turnoff 0.8
Icehouse Saddle 0.7
Trailhead 3.4

Total 15.6 miles

Comments

No comments posted yet.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.