Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Dec 19, 2006 10:00 pm - Voted 10/10

Encouraging

I hope people will indeed take your advice and not turn this into an ugly debate, but for what it's worth, I appreciate this article and the one you wrote and hiking and climbing with children. I have a 2-year-old son and expect a daughter in about a month, and I can't wait to take them out to the mountains and canyons with me. My son's been out there on my back already, but I look forward to the day when we take on challenges together. And there will be no arbitrary age requirement-- I will, as you said, wait until they seem ready.

Scott

Scott - Dec 20, 2006 12:15 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Encouraging

I have a 2-year-old son and expect a daughter in about a month, and I can't wait to take them out to the mountains and canyons with me.

Sounds great! I wish you luck. No doubt some good times are ahead when you visit the mountains and canyons.

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Dec 24, 2006 7:10 am - Voted 10/10

A fine report

And equally fine sentiments. It sounds like Kessler had the time of his life and just ate up the difficulties. As you say; when they're ready, they're ready. Irrespective of age. I started my son on fairly demanding stuff at 9 and he's never looked back either in the hills or in life. The two often go hand in hand.

Enjoy your time "out there" with your kids and ignore the nay sayers. Believe me, it passes all too quickly. Before you know it, you can't keep up with them, not vice versa, even when they're carrying twice as much weight as you. Heck, they may even be carrying you!

tigerlilly

tigerlilly - Mar 6, 2008 2:07 pm - Voted 10/10

Go Daddy Go!

Wow. I'm impressed. Are you not the best dad in the whole wide world?! :-)))) You've inspired me. Great job.

vernile

vernile - Sep 8, 2008 11:22 pm - Voted 10/10

What a man!

Sounds like you had an incredible experience. I did quite a bit of hiking with my children but never that young. I cherish every moment we spent together on such events. I now have 12 grandchildren and I hope some of them are interested in hiking.

Romanciu - Apr 24, 2009 12:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Bravo

Having undertaken a few hiking adventures similar to yours with our boys (now 8 and 10); reading your accounts moved me. We started when our youngest was 5 with a backpack in Glacier. We still encounter others on the trails incedrulous at our efforts as our family moves about. Initially, the boys did not equate the backcountry with rigor. Now, they offer trail advice to the passerby(s). Having explored a lot of the Canyon sans our boys with the backpack, it may be time to take them down to the river. Hope to see you and Kessler out there soon!

Diesel

Diesel - Oct 16, 2014 11:38 am - Voted 10/10

Way to go!

Kessler is my favorite! As a kid my dad took me hiking everywhere (not really the Grand Canyon type hiking but nonetheless, long hikes for a kid.) Everybody use to tell my father I'd probably become a dancer or couch potato in adulthood due to so much traveling while being a kid. I grew up now and all I do is hiking and searching for more challenging hiking! Kessler is the man!

Scott

Scott - Oct 17, 2014 9:55 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Way to go!

Thanks. This was 8 years ago (weird that it was featured), but now Kessler is a better climber than me.

The plus side is that on day hikes, we make the kids carry everything!

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'A Grand and Challenging Trip in the Canyon' main page