Viewing: 1-16 of 16
rpc

rpc - Jun 15, 2009 6:48 pm - Voted 10/10

great shots

as is the tr I'm sure but I'll read it later.

RobSC

RobSC - Jun 16, 2009 12:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: great shots

Thanks; it's hard to take bad pictures in a place as beautiful as Yosemite.

rpc

rpc - Jun 22, 2009 12:29 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: great shots

now I can say that it was as great a read as the photos! cheers!

klwagar

klwagar - Jun 16, 2009 2:10 am - Voted 10/10

wow

awesome photos and very dramatic story. You have a gift for writing.

RobSC

RobSC - Jun 16, 2009 1:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: wow

Thank you. They were two wonderful climbs. I think that I wanted to make sure the writing was good as this was the place that my main climbing partner of the 1990's was killed in a fall with her partner in 2001. That's kind of a downer of a statement but I seem to be spending more time with my kids and less time climbing these days.

TJ311

TJ311 - Jun 18, 2009 12:17 pm - Voted 10/10

Phenomenal..

pictures and trip report. I've been to the base and looked up El Cap. It's an amazing rock!

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Jun 21, 2009 12:02 pm - Voted 10/10

professional

It reads like a high-quality magazine article, and has very human touches.

RobSC

RobSC - Jun 21, 2009 5:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: professional

I'm flattered by your comments. I had a lot of time to think about the trip before I wrote the piece. I think that I was inspired to write this since it has been exactly ten years since the events discussed. For a change, I think that the next trip report will actually be of a trip that I took within the past decade. Thanks again for your kind words.

mvs

mvs - Jun 21, 2009 4:13 pm - Voted 10/10

Really good

Great story, great pictures. I was actually there when you were, for my first ever "climbing road trip," we did stuff like Royal Arches, Middle Cathedral, etc. I remember that climber who died holding the belay, RIP.

RobSC

RobSC - Jun 21, 2009 5:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Really good

Thanks for the comments. Maybe we crossed paths on Royal Arches then... Seems like you've kept busy since then. I always enjoy seeing your stuff on the web site.
Rob

Craig Peer

Craig Peer - Jun 22, 2009 11:56 am - Hasn't voted

Excellent tale

I enjoyed your tale of a trip to a place I know so well. Thanks !

Diggler

Diggler - Jun 22, 2009 6:46 pm - Voted 10/10

thanks...

for a great read. Being from Colorado myself, I can identify with a lot of what you wrote- I remember well reading about both the BASE jumper who drowned & the unfortunate guy who died at the belay, when they happened. I also remember well the drive from Colorado to California along I-80, & the first time I saw Mono Lake. While I wasn't aware of the history & magnificence of Yosemite when I first moved to the Bay Area from CO, I've certainly gained an appreciation since- a truly special & exceptional place.

The climbs you planned as a short 'ticklist' are quite ambitious- all of those are still on mine (& many others'), after years climbing in The Valley! Thanks for a great read, the nice photos, & yet more inspiration to 'show up!'

Let me know if you want to grab a beer the next time I'm around Boulder visiting- it would be cool to hang out (there's an Old Chicago right at the Superior/Louisville turnpike exit, right?).

darinchadwick

darinchadwick - Jun 23, 2009 7:07 am - Voted 10/10

standard

It's more what you don't say, especially about the actual climbs that make this trip report stand out. Much better than the standard pitch-by-pitch account.

RobSC

RobSC - Jun 23, 2009 7:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: standard

My wife always used to think it was funny when I talked about specific pitches on climbs complete with arm and leg gyrations, so maybe I got away from that since it can easily become dry unless you've been there. Thank you for your kind words. I will say that the Nose had some of the best pitches that I've ever climbed, though.

Sierra Ledge Rat

Sierra Ledge Rat - Jun 27, 2009 8:17 am - Hasn't voted

"...steep and foreboding..."

"Sure, Cannon Cliff, Gothics, and the Grand Teton all had a magnetic pull but they were different, weren’t so steep or foreboding." During our first trip to Yosemite as cocky young climbers, we walked around the Valley with our mouths wide open and strained our necks from looking up so much. We went home after only a few hour and didn't even climb anything. That place really humbled us.

RobSC

RobSC - Jun 27, 2009 9:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re:

It looks like you got up the walls eventually. Nice article on the Triple Direct. Your Thin Crack picture I believe is the exact opposite of the picture that I took looking down of Mike.

Viewing: 1-16 of 16
Return to 'A Return to Yosemite' main page