Viewing: 1-18 of 18
ScottyP

ScottyP - Oct 17, 2010 8:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Brad

This is AWESOME. THANKS for taking the time to share your expertise with us. This is what makes SP great!

Brad Marshall

Brad Marshall - Oct 18, 2010 6:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Brad

Thanks Scott, I'm glad you like it. I sure hope those business meetings stop interferring with your climbing. Don't they know how to set their priorities?

markhallam

markhallam - Oct 18, 2010 12:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Thanks Brad!

This is great Brad, thanks very much! I am coming out to make a solo attempt end of Jan. I haven't been to the Andes before so I expect I shall be re-reading your article a few more times and taking the time to follow the links. I may take you up on your kind offer of answering questions... I would love to have a crack at the Polish Direct, but am aware conditions may well be unsuitable for a solo climber. Anyway - thanks again & best wishes for whatever are your forthcoming plans.

Mark

Brad Marshall

Brad Marshall - Oct 18, 2010 6:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks Brad!

Hi Mark. You're welcome and feel free to contact me anytime. Good luck with your trip in January and let us know how it turns out.

richnyc

richnyc - Oct 19, 2010 12:28 pm - Voted 9/10

Great article!!!

Thank you for putting it together;) I'm playing with the idea to cycle from Cuzco, Peru to Santiago, Chile (via Altiplano) in early '12 and want to stop at Aconcagua and climb it. Cycling before the climb would be a great way to get into high altitude shape and shorten my acclimatization process on the mountain. I've done it before in Nepal and Tibet and it's unbelievable how much stronger you are when properly acclimatized (at least 4 weeks above 4,000 - 4,500m) before climbing above 6,000m.

Are there places to rent mountaineering equipment in Mendoza? Otherwise, I would have to ship my climbing stuff to meet me there. Don't see myself cycling with it all the way from Cuzco;)

Thanks, Rich

Brad Marshall

Brad Marshall - Oct 19, 2010 7:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great article!!!

Thanks Rich. Sounds like you're planning an exciting trip. Yes, gear rentals are available in Mendoza at Mountain Gear and Orviz. Their addresses are in the Fuel and Water section of the article. Some of the mule service suppiers also rent gear but it's more like tents and stuff. Good luck with your planning.

Brad Marshall

Brad Marshall - Oct 20, 2010 6:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Super!

Hi Fletch and thanks. I'd like to think it will be useful for some but it's certainly no Fortmental Denali TR! I still get a good laugh from that one. Hope you're well also.

Brad Marshall

Brad Marshall - Oct 30, 2010 2:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks

Thanks Sergio, I really appreciate it.

TorontoDave - Nov 8, 2010 5:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Food at Mendoza

I found most everything needed, BUT, some favorites, like Oreos, Ritz and other snack foods, are best brought from North America, as well as any freeze dried foods, could not find in Mendoza. Also did not find canned meals, like chili, BoyArdees, etc, and oddly, no Tortillas!

SKI

SKI - Nov 10, 2010 7:31 am - Voted 10/10

Flying into Santiago, taking bus to Mendoza

Flying into Santiago, taking bus to Mendoza?

It is perhaps better to book a connecting flight (as suggested on this page) as it waves the need for a person to pay the 180-200$ (outrageous!) fee for a temporary visa into Chile (assuming that you're coming from the U.S.A.). From what I understand the visa for Argentina is much, much cheaper. If you do plan on taking the autobus up to Mendoza from Santiago, they will stamp your passport on board and your visa fee (very cheap) is included on your bus fair.

Lubos

Lubos - Dec 6, 2010 11:39 pm - Voted 10/10

Awesome

Hi Brad,
Good information, something real and practical. Thanks

Bezoar Goat

Bezoar Goat - Mar 1, 2011 3:12 pm - Voted 10/10

Thanks!

Great info as I start the planning phase. Thanks so much!

Brad Marshall

Brad Marshall - Mar 1, 2011 9:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks!

No problem. Hope you find it useful and good luck.

HYAK

HYAK - Jan 7, 2012 2:17 pm - Voted 10/10

Excellent info!

Having always wanted to climb Aconcagua, I am not crying in the least that in 3 wekes I am being reassigned to Brazil for two years! I have to work 4wks on/2off...Guess whatmountain I am going up! :)

Thanks very much for all the great info. It helps a great deal!

One concern is supplies. Of course I will have my main gear with me in Rio, but since I will not be coming from the US (with our REI''s, North Face's, Oregon Moiuntain Comm, etc,) I really appreciate the info on where fuel and other things can be found in Mendoza.

Airfare from GIG (Rio De Janero) to Lima, Santiago, Mendoza, etc is not to bad, about the same as flying SFO to BOS or ATL, so I would imagine I will be bouncing around the moutains of SA quite a bit when not working!

Anyway, thanks again for the info!

Thanks again!

HedUp

HedUp - Oct 22, 2014 11:16 am - Hasn't voted

Food Question!

Hey...
This is a great write up...thanks for that. Had a few more questions about food though.

- Are there any airline restrictions as to what you can bring with you from the states?
- What about dehydrated food that I dried myself?
- What about not so dehydrated, but not so perishable food that I have sealed in a vacuum sealed bag?
- Are there any restrictions to factory sealed foods at all?

Thanks!

Brad Marshall

Brad Marshall - Oct 30, 2014 8:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Food Question!

Hi Hedup!

I'm glad you appreciated the article. Food import in to Argentina is about the same as many countries. Maybe check the Internet sites such as http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/AR-Argentina-customs-currency-airport-tax-regulations-details.htm

I always bought most of my food down there but the last year I was there I took simple food like protein bars and such, stuff I didn't need to boil water to eat. Yes we can all boil water and add it to a dried pasta dish and get 300 calories or you can just unwrap a protein bar and get the same. In my book I just keep it simple now but if I take food it has weight to it because I enjoy it like a pound of bacon on Denali!! Takes sooooo good!

ironwarfarefitness - Jan 4, 2016 5:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanks Brad

Thanks so much for the guide Brad, I got a lot of useful information out of the post.
Im planning on climbing Aconcagua via the polish Glacier Route at the start of February with group called Aconcagua Adventures. Have you ever heard of them?

Thanks Again

Brock

Brad Marshall

Brad Marshall - Jan 4, 2016 6:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks Brad

Hi Brock, thanks and you are welcome. Some of my information may be a dated but most of the "on mountain" info should stand. There are three Polish Routes, the original glacier route, the direct and the traverse. Can you tell me which route you are considering? Sorry but I haven't dealt with Aconcagua Adventures so I can't comment on them. If you are considering the Polish Traverse I have been on this route several times, it is not difficult but it is an extreme altitude climb and one should always be prepared to take care of themselves up there even if they are using a guiding company. Not all guides are IFMGA certified, so know where you are on the mountain, know how to get back down on your own, monitor yourself and least of all know it is not the summit but the journey that should be enjoyed. If this is your first time to Aconcagua you are in for a wonderful time. Enjoy it and be safe. If you need any more info you can always contact me directly at admin@adventureclimbing.ca. Best of luck on a safe and successful climb Brock!

Viewing: 1-18 of 18
Return to 'Aconcagua Expedition Planning Information - Polish Routes' main page