Viewing: 1-6 of 6

Dave K - Sep 27, 2010 10:14 am - Voted 10/10

aaaah...

wonderful eye candy. Looks you guys had a blast.

eri - Apr 10, 2012 1:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Questions

I am a Utah native who loves southern Utah but is far less knowledgeable then I'd like to be about it. I want to take my kids here. In fact I love this post and even might just copy your itinerary if you don't mind. I've been looking for something like this we could do with our kids who are 9 and 6 years old. I'm not exactly sure where to find more information about Fortymile canyon. Could you tell me more? Things like; is first of July a safe time to go and how exactly do you get here? We have done the Hole-in-the-Rock off road trail that takes you to the opposite side of the actual hole in the rock but it sounds like this might be on the other side of the river?
Anyway any info you could offer I'm sure would be greatly helpful. One of our usual adventure buddies loves to climb but rarely gets to because we take kids and he has limited gear. Do you ever do climbing trips with kids?

Scott

Scott - Apr 11, 2012 6:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Questions

might just copy your itinerary if you don't mind.

I do not mind.

I'm not exactly sure where to find more information about Fortymile canyon.

Try Steve Allen's Canyoneering III. If you can't find it, try Kelsey's Non-technical Hiking Guide to the Colorado Plateau

Things like; is first of July a safe time to go and how exactly do you get here?

The two ends of the hike are dry and hot, but most of it is wet and has pools and waterfalls to cool off in, so July is possible. Get an early start for the dry parts.

You access the Hike from the Hole in the Rock Road from Escalante. You will need a good map for this.

Do you ever do climbing trips with kids?

Yes; all the time. See below (also has links to previous trips):

Trip Log

andrew david

andrew david - Mar 22, 2013 3:09 pm - Voted 10/10

Thanks

Good pictorial reviews, and as I will not have a high clearance vehicle any time soon, this is a good one for me to have come across. I may try all these canyons, or at least some of them this coming spring.

kaniukr - Mar 23, 2013 6:10 pm - Hasn't voted

hiking with kids

I often see your trip reports with your kids - they do brilliantly. I would love to take mine hiking. How old are yours and what age did they start doing long hikes with climbing and chimneying? Seems they have no problems in the heat? Have they had much tuition on climbing/canyoneering techniques?
Also those vests they have in this fortymile trip report photos. Are they for warmth in the cold pools, or flotation?
Thanks Ross

Scott

Scott - Mar 23, 2013 8:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: hiking with kids

How old are yours and what age did they start doing long hikes with climbing and chimneying?

They are 8 & 10 now, but started the long hikes with Chimneying/stemming at around age 4. Maybe a few at age 3, but with help.

Seems they have no problems in the heat?

With heat, we try and go places with water. When away from water, we also take squirt guns so they can cool each other off.

Have they had much tuition on climbing/canyoneering techniques?

Plenty from their parents. Here's Shaylee just after her 8th birthday:

Shaylee

Also those vests they have in this fortymile trip report photos. Are they for warmth in the cold pools, or flotation?

These particular pools were actually pretty warm. Those are life jackets for safety. If they are going to be swimming much, we bring life jackets.

Anyway, scrambling, climbing and canyoneering just takes practice. We try to get the kids out at least 100 days a year:

2013

2012

2011

2010

2009

2008

Anyway, good luck with your future adventures and good luck with your kids.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Adventures in Escalante-Photo Trip Report' main page