Ahwahnee Ledges Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
eeeheeheehee

eeeheeheehee - Aug 28, 2022 9:51 pm Date Climbed: Aug 26, 2022

better the second time  Sucess!

This time I took the right ramp at the fork. I walked over to Washington Column and came down North Dome Gully. There must have been a rockfall in the last year because granite sand and fist sized rocks covered the descent trail in the gully which I didn't recall from last time.

The right ramp is more enjoyable than the left ramp and slightly more technical. My crux was standing on small ledges the width of a pack of credit cards in order to pull myself up via some friction slab moves to get to the next ramp. Not terrible, actually quite fun. Class 3 throughout. Views from the top are great, with particularly excellent centered views of the Cathedral Rocks.

I assume the first time you do this hike, you'll waste hours on route finding, but on subsequent climbs, it'll be pretty fast albeit hot to get to the Y where the two ramps diverge. That's how it went for me, at least.

A nice soak in the Merced east of the Ahwahnee seemed to take away all the filth of the hike and was oh so nice in the 90 degree valley temps.

eeeheeheehee

eeeheeheehee - Nov 19, 2021 12:45 pm Date Climbed: Nov 17, 2021

Interesting  Sucess!

Interesting route up. Got lost a few times taking the wrong ledges, but eventually found the top and walked down Indian Canyon for the return. Took me 3 hours to walk up. Some fun routefinding and some thick manzanita at times. Looks easier than it is.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Ahwahnee Ledges' main page