Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.72726°N / 105.59604°W
Additional Information County: Clear Creek
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 10560 ft / 3219 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Alps Mountain has two summits and is steeped in mining history. You're liable to trip right over mining artifacts as you bushwhack around the upper slopes of this hidden gem. Hopefully you won't trip into one of the many open vertical mine shafts.

Towering over Chicago Creek south west of Idaho Springs Alps Mountain will afford you amazing views of the Mount Evans Massif to the south.

Getting There

Drive south out of Idaho Springs on 103 for a short distance. Turn right on Spring Gulch Road and travel 3.5 miles to the intersection with Lamartine Road. Pull off on the left side of the road out of the way. You can make it to this point with a moderately high clearance vehicle. The road was in better shape in the summer of 2009. Recently I went back and the road was very rocky to this point and it doesn't get better beyond.

Hike up the road from this point to a saddle. The saddle is between the two summits of Alps. Head west up the slope passing a cabin and bear slightly south snooping for the high point. It's approximately half a mile from the obvious parking spot.

The true summit is a craggy exposed pinnacle, but you may have to hike around a little to find it. Once you do prepare yourself for amazing views.

Red Tape

None.

Camping

The first cabin is maintained by a Boy Scout Troop and apparently you can sleep there. It looked a little rough inside during the summer of 2009. Presumably you could camp around the saddle since it is National Forest.