Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Redwic

Redwic - Oct 14, 2012 8:23 pm - Voted 10/10

Great Trip & Great Trip Report!

Thank you for all of your cooperation and efforts to make this trip a success! Thanks also to Joe and Jeremy; they each did great for their first volcano ascent.

It was a tad demoralizing for the first half of June to have such a string of consecutive bad weather days (usually VERY bad weather). Fortunately, our trip day worked out well with very clear skies and great conditions. Sometimes things just work out for the best.

gimpilator

gimpilator - Jul 21, 2013 9:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Trip & Great Trip Report!

I'm just glad we were able to make it work. I remember when it seemed like we were going to miss out on ideal conditions. Glad we could share the experience together.

ExcitableBoy

ExcitableBoy - May 30, 2013 10:56 am - Hasn't voted

Nice work

Great photos. I think the Easton will be very popular this season due to the wash out on the road to the North side. Congrats to Craig on his accomplishment! The Washington 100 is a very exclusive club.

gimpilator

gimpilator - Jul 21, 2013 9:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice work

Thanks. I can't believe they have no plans to fix the road for the Coleman/Deming route. It seems that slowly but surely we are losing our mountain access all over the state. How sad. I guess it's time to get used to the good old bicycle approach, right?

jamesmc2

jamesmc2 - May 31, 2013 12:10 am - Voted 9/10

Skis!

I recommend a ski descent. In fact the angle of the route is low enough you can skin most of the glacier. Only had to take of the skis for a short section. Really fun and fast ski out! Nice work... impressive that car to car ascent on foot!

ExcitableBoy

ExcitableBoy - May 31, 2013 10:43 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Skis!

When I did Easton we did it on skis. We weren't that much faster though. It was a good ski but a bit creepy as the route was in a cloud and I knew there were open crevasses we were skiing around.

Kiefer

Kiefer - Jun 4, 2013 11:08 am - Voted 10/10

Very nice.

I enjoyed reading this. And a BIG congratulations to Craig for his completion!
Stellar pictures and trip. So now that you've 'day-tripped' this, was it as bad as you expected...or easier?

Seeing that crevasse up close like you did would have scared the shit out of me! Something about not being able to see the bottom. ;o)

Nice report!

gimpilator

gimpilator - Jul 21, 2013 9:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very nice.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. The climb itself was not really that bad. I think the majority of my exhaustion after the climb came from lying awake all night the day before. For some reason, knowing what we were about to do, my adrenaline was leaking a little, and I couldn't stop it to fall asleep.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'An 18 Hour Day On Mount Baker' main page