Ancestral Utah Highway 24

Ancestral Utah Highway 24

Page Type Page Type: Custom Object
Additional Information Object Type: 40 year old road, still there
Additional Information County: Emery (here)

Ancient good road, Still here for you

Leaving Green River (Utah) and heading southwest we see many features. San Rafael Swell, Temple Mountain, and Capitol Reef for starters. Before I-70 took the traffic, highway 24 connected with US-6 west of the town. That road is still there and you can drive on it today. In Green River you go south toward their airport. A perfect dirt road called "county road" takes off from the airport road and connects with ancestral, old highway 24, still asphalt, not repaired in 40 years, with a few sage brushes growing in the cracks. The old highway bisects a colorful wash named "Jessies Twist" and then joins the current Highway 24 at Hatt Ranch, milemarker 157. A fence along I-70 cuts off travel very far north on this road. On the north side of I-70 the old road continues on to a dirt road that still joins US-6 before the town.

Another way to go:

Utah Highway 24 ends with milemarker 160 at the junction with I-70 and Shadscale Mesa. Highway 24, milemarker 157 has Hatt Ranch to the west and the old Highway 24 to the northeast past a cattleguard. Jessies Twist is the first thing you see.