Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Silvia Mazzani

Silvia Mazzani - Mar 16, 2015 1:49 pm - Voted 10/10

Minor languages and dialects

Nice historical article! The language from Friuli, as you wrote, it's not a dialect, but a real language, so that people speaking italian often don't understand it completely. Unfortunately the Furlan - as many Italian dialects - is spoken less and less... It's a pity!
Thanks and ciao, Silvia

Vid Pogachnik

Vid Pogachnik - Mar 17, 2015 6:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Minor languages and dialects

Yes, Silvia, you're right. I'm only missing English words to distinguish it. Friulan language is kind of equal to Ladinian, Rhaetoroman and other old languages which are a mixture of languages of original people on those locations and Ancient Roman influences. So, yes, they are not a dialect of Italian.

Are they spoken less and less? I don't know. I have a feeling, but it's only a personal impression, that it can be even the opposite. Whenever we go in Carnia, Furlania, people say "hello" always in Furlan ("Bon di" or "Mandi"), many of them are immediately ready to teach us, visitors, the difference in pronounciation of toponymes. I will not forget how one young lady on an alpine pasture tried to tell us the difference how Monte Chiampon is pronounced in Italian and how in Friulan.

So, yes, I hope the language with all its richness survives. At the end, it is some 300 000 of people who can use it.

Ciao!
Vid

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Ancient Romans in Alpes Carnicae' main page