Anvers Island

Anvers Island

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 64.68502°S / 64.29199°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Ice Climbing, Aid Climbing, Mixed, Scrambling, Skiing
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This page is under construction. I'll be updating slowly each night over the next week or so.

Panorama


Anvers Island (Isla Amberes on spanish language maps) is the largest and the southernmost island of the Palmer Archipelago. The United States Antarctic Program maintains Palmer Station at the southern end of the island. The Station is named for Nathaniel Palmer, who sailed his 14 meter ship HERO from South Georgia to the Antarctic Peninsula in search of new sealing grounds. Palmer, however, never visited Anvers Island. The Island was discovered by Captain John Biscoe who, in thinking that it was the mainland, claimed it for Great Britain in 1832.

The US became interested in the peninsula in 1928 when the American Geographical Society sponsored several exploratory flights from Deception Island. Several US expeditions to the peninsula were conducted between 1928 and 1948, and in 1962 the US began serious consideration of a permanent research station in the peninsula area.

Getting There

Add Getting There text here.

Red Tape

View out my windowThe view east from Palmer Station on Anvers Island.
Red Tape includes the the Antarctic Treaty and the Antarctic Conservation Act (ACA). The ACA designates certain areas as protected for wildlife. And, since much of the terrain is ice covered, the few locations without ice have a decent shot of being protected by the ACA. For example, many of the islands such as Dream Island or Humble Island near Palmer Station are off-limits unless one has a permit.

External Links

Much of the information for this page was collected from the Palmer Station Website.

Camping

Add Camping text here.