Ararat Comments

vancouver islanderNeeds more route info

vancouver islander

Great start to a potentially very interesting page. The "History" section particularly is excellent. However, something more than "From C2 (4200 m) you have a 4-5 hour[e] climbing to the summit" would represent a great improvement. Perhaps there's nothing more to add but after so much background at the beginning of the page, I felt let down by the rest.
Posted Sep 22, 2007 12:14 pm

Vahid AshrafiRe: Needs more route info

Vahid Ashrafi

Hi dear freind ,
You're right . But that was the begining of the work ! I've added another details . Please see the page and vote it . Then I'll know how is my work .
Posted Sep 23, 2007 2:29 am

BigLeeRe: Needs more route info

BigLee

The history section is largely copied & pasted straight from from Wikipedia as is other parts of this page which isn't really acceptable. I'll up my vote once you've written this page yourself.
Nice photos though. I'd attach the photos from the former page as well.
Posted Nov 10, 2007 9:51 am

Vahid AshrafiRe: Needs more route info

Vahid Ashrafi

In external links I,ve mentioned that wikipedia is one of my informations' sources . It's a famouse encyclopedia and I don't know why using it is unacceptable ! It's information about the history of Ararat was greater than mine , so I used it . Another reason is that my english is not as good as you or other SP members that English is their mother languages . Finally , trip report and pics are mine . I think they're the most important section of a page in Sp .
I'm waiting unpatiently to see your photos from Ararat .Thanks for your comment and vote . Cheers , Vahid .
Posted Nov 10, 2007 11:09 pm

BigLeeRe: Needs more route info

BigLee

Sorry, the photos from the former Ararat page are not mine. Search for "Ararat" under the "Attach existing images" header, which is under the "Attach images" header and you'll find them. They're currently not attached to any page.
With regards Wikipedia, it's more that you've directly copied and pasted the text. I could tell straight away when I read the page as there are two writing styles. What is "pyroclastic ejecta" for example? I personally don't have a clue. That Wiki history section has a warning because it sights no references so its reliability could be questionable. The best thing is the look at a few sights that discuss the mountain's history and then write-up some history yourself on SP. I'd personally rather see more of your first hand info on climbing the mountain and the red tape tape involved. Cheers, Lee
Posted Nov 11, 2007 4:53 am

Vahid AshrafiRe: Needs more route info

Vahid Ashrafi

I attached other members' pics from Ararat . Thanks for your good advice .
You know that the story of Noah's Ark on Mount Ararat is an important feature of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam . So , I thought that the history of Ararat will be useful for readers .
Also , I made some deletion and changes in over view part .
Cheers , Vahid .
Posted Nov 14, 2007 1:49 am

BigLeeRe: Needs more route info

BigLee

Looks a lot better!
Posted Nov 16, 2007 7:21 am

sev0rWarning

Recently a kidnapping of three German hikers by the PKK (Kurdistan Workers Party) happend. I don't know much details about that incident. Please check your news sources to find more accurate information - I just wanted to share this information with you.

Best wishes,
sev0r
Posted Jul 10, 2008 10:26 am

Vahid AshrafiRe: Warning

Vahid Ashrafi

Thanks for your comment .
I hope that the inocent climbers will be free very soon .
Posted Jul 11, 2008 11:33 pm

BLongGear for Ararat

BLong

Note: When we climbed Mt. Ararat (July 2012, standard route) no one on the mountain roped up or used ice axes. If you are a competent climber I would leave the rope, harnesses, and ice axes at home. A couple of our team members used crampons for the descent, but those familiar with glissading easily got by without them.
Posted Aug 19, 2012 9:18 pm