Balaitous Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
waspee

waspee - Dec 7, 2003 9:30 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

'Las Neous' the glacier underneath the Balaitous, is best climbed before the end of the first week of july. After that some big crevasses appear in the middle and worst of all you may not be able to summit because the gap between the glacier and the rock face is too wide.


you may be lucky enough to find a snow bridge (unsafe) but then that does not necessarily leave you were you want to climb and again you may not be able to finish.


A fuller glacier is better! May and June are ideal.

edouet - Aug 9, 2005 12:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

You can join the Gran Diagonal Route from France, by the Col Noir ( Black Pass ).

From Arrens, drive to the Pla d'Aste ( trailhead, 1470m ). A good trail leads to the Larribet Hut. Walk up to hte Garenere Breach, go along the Lakes of Batcrabere for 20min, than hike up in granite stones to the south, to get to the Col Noir. Until a few years ago, you could get to the Col with ice axe and crampoons, but the snow now disappears, and reaching the Col is more a matter of rock climbing ( I, I+ ) or scree crawling!



From the Col, walk down for 5 min, to join the path coming from the Arriel Lake.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Balaitous' main page