Bald Mountain, Boulder County Open Space, Colorado

Bald Mountain, Boulder County Open Space, Colorado

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.04677°N / 105.34399°W
Additional Information County: Boulder
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7160 ft / 2182 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Bald Mountain View
View towards the summit of Bald Mountain
There are a number of Bald Mountains in Colorado. Perhaps the most well known is the high 13er found near Breckenridge in Summit County. The Bald Mountain described here is one of two Bald Mountains found in the foothills just west of Boulder Colorado. Located several miles from town, it provides for a nice hike of a little over a mile to a beautiful summit with expansive views of Colorado's Front Range that is far enough away from downtown to avoid many of the crowds seen on Mt. Sanitas or at Chautauqua. The trail has a starting elevation of 6960' and summit of 7160, making it an ideal objective for families with young children or anyone just wanting to enjoy Colorado's beautiful scenery!

Getting There

 
Bald Mountain Trail Map
Boulder County Open Space Map of Bald Mountain.
The mountain and hike can be accessed by taking Mapleton Avenue west from Boulder and travelling five miles up Sunshine Canyon. There is a well marked parking area on the left side of the road.

Route

 
Flowers on the Slope of Bald Mountain
 
There is a well established loop trail that climbs to the summit of the peak. Leaving from the parking lot, one hikes 0.2 miles to a divergence of the trail. From here, pick a direction and hike to the summit. The entire trail up to the summit and back to the car is approximately 1.2 miles in length. There is a bench on the summit allowing for you to reflect on the scenery.

Red Tape

The hike is on the Bald Mountain Scenic Area and is administered by Boulder County Parks and Open Space. Camping, fires, and firearms are prohibited. There are picnic tables, pets are allowed, and a restroom is available during summer months.

When to Climb

 
View South-East from Bald Mountain
View south east from the slopes of Bald Mountain
The peak can be climbed year round. In the winter months, it is possible that ice might build up particularly on shady north facing aspects of the trail, making the use of Yaktrax type devices desirable.

Camping

No Camping is allowed in the Bald Mountain Scenic Area.

External Links

 
View West from Bald Mountain Slopes
View west from the slopes of Bald Mountain
The website for the Bald Mountain Scenic Area can be found here.

A guide to the hiking trail can be found on this website.