Bald Mountain (from Vail)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Sort of the gateway to the Gores.

Getting There

Exit 176 on I-70 in Vail.  Veer onto Spraddle Creek Dr and take a few winds in the road.  When you see gates to the rich people's houses that can't stand seeing someone with less money walking near their houses, turn hard right onto the dirt road.  Park near the stables.  There is forest parking marked.  You will walk up past the stables (only road continuation) past the gate that may be closed to prevent motorized vehicles. 

Route Description

There are two other posts about this summit, and I'm posting this after learning just how wrong both are today.  I hope to save some others some trouble.  FIRST OF ALL, the trailhead - do NOT use the parking lot immediately to the left coming onto Spraddle Creek Dr.  As noted, follow the road up to the stables.  From there, you can stay on the main road or take a shortcut (you'll see some worn paths), but you'll make it up near a broken down shelter of some sort.  Walk north past that, there will be a more narrow trail leading up and this will then lead back into a tire-worn path.  There will be an off-shoot to the left.  Stay straight.  This will start heading further uphill.  Stay on this until it forks near the end... DO NOT TAKE THE RIGHT CONTINUATION!!  The left fork will end in somewhat of a loop.  Towards the end of this, you will see a worn walking path.  Follow this, cross the creek, and keep following the worn path.  Now, I only found this on the descent, after going MILES out of my way thanks to another post.  So, working backwards, I will hope this to be correct, but until I can summit with this route (won't try it again for a month or two - there was a giant snow field 6 feet deep I trudged through and fell in several times - not fun being lodged in a snowbank up to your waist), this is partial conjecture.  Scrambling over scree and snow on a steep slope is rough, so I think if you follow this, you'll have the easiest time - following this worn path your on after crossing the creek, I believe it winds up and over on to a ridge.  There will be cliff faces you'll see past the aspens, and the trail should get you up on to that ridge.  Following that ridge will get you to the summit without too much work.  Any other route, and you'll be facing VERY steep slopes with nothing but loose rock and large drops below.  Again, I WILL update this as soon as I can summit using this route, to confirm the walking trail will get you on to the ridge, and this can be easily followed to the summit.



Essential Gear

As long as you're sticking to the worn route, you shouldn't need much.  I did this in June, and was glad to have a Marmot jacket nearing treeline.  There was also still a TON of snow.  I managed, but crampons may not hurt, as well as some waterproof boots and pants.  Aside from that, bring plenty of water and food.  It will probably be a good day.  Lots of exposure early on and later on.  

External Links

Add External Links text here.
Table of Contents
Geography