Baldy Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 23
12
metasyn11

metasyn11 - Jun 11, 2023 10:47 pm Date Climbed: Jun 10, 2023

Tyler/Baldy/Gray Wolf  Sucess!

Summitted Baldy on a long Tyler/Baldy/Gray Wolf day hike. June is a perfect time of year to hike, as the snow is nearly gone and the tundra flowers are in full glory.

huskertriguy

huskertriguy - Nov 24, 2018 11:59 am Date Climbed: Nov 20, 2018

Gray Wolf Ridge et al  Sucess!

Having to work over Thanksgiving weekend and seeing a bomber forecast in the Olympics, I decided to take Tuesday afternoon off with the plan to hit Gray Wolf Ridge by sunset and descend in the dark.

Ascended via Tyler Peak Way Trail, reaching Tyler Peak in about 2 hours. Once out of the trees I left the trail and beelined it to the ridge. As it was, I came upon a trail toward Tyler within a few hundred yards. This trail fades in and out but the route to Tyler is very apparent. I circumnavigated a couple of the bumps on the ridgeline and traveled up and over a couple others. The route is up to you.

From Tyler Peak I descended and traversed to Peak B. Here is where some confusion reigned. I scrambled to the top of several spires. My altimeter (which was calibrated) read about 6000-6100', but the map listed Peak B at 5700'. In order to cover my bases I decided to hit all the prominent spires. A ridgeline to a semi-prominent summit was seductive, but I was running out of daylight. Finally I looked up my position on Gaia and it showed I was standing directly atop Peak B. Whether I truly summited Peak B or not, is up for you to decide.

Descended to the ridgeline and then traversed over to unnamed peak 6527', then from there up to Baldy. Again, a path fades in and out, but it could not be clearer where to go. A sign on a tree in the saddle between 6527' and Baldy indicates when you are entering into Olympic NP.

Atop Baldy it got pretty windy. The descent from Baldy to the saddle is slightly steep scree but manageable. I ascended the bump on the saddle and descended back down; others may wish to circumnavigate it.

Ascent to Gray Wolf is more choose-your-own-adventure through scree. I recommend sticking close to the ridgeline. Only a 20-yard patch of snow required traversing on the ridge to the short scramble up to Gray Wolf's summit.

Indeed I made it just in time for sunset. I then descended in the dark. While circumnavigating Baldy on the way back was tempting, the added distance and steeper scree did not seem worth it. From Baldy and then back over to 6527', I descended via the Maynard Burn Trail. (I'd considered cutting down the ridgeline from 6527' but opted instead for certainty.)

scgrant

scgrant - Nov 11, 2015 10:09 pm Date Climbed: Aug 26, 2015

Baldy  Sucess!

Along with Tyler Peak and Gray Wolf Ridge via Mueller Creek. Great hike in the Olympic Mountains.

cgish88

cgish88 - Jun 7, 2014 9:06 pm Date Climbed: Jul 5, 2013

Baldy  Sucess!

A great mountain to camp near the summit

Snidely Whiplash

Snidely Whiplash - Nov 11, 2013 12:10 am Date Climbed: Aug 12, 2004

Nothing More than an Intermediate Bump  Sucess!

...on the way to Graywolf.

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson - Aug 21, 2012 3:47 pm Date Climbed: Aug 2, 2012

To Gray Wolf  Sucess!

Traversed from here to Gray Wolf.

awilsondc

awilsondc - Aug 20, 2012 11:06 pm Date Climbed: Aug 19, 2012

via Maynard Burn on the way to Gray Wolf  Sucess!

Well, the Maynard Burn trail lived up to it's reputation although it wasn't too bad all things considered. Baldy had some great views, but the highlight of this particular peak for me was the scree ski descent on the way to Gray Wolf. Fun! Clouds has socked in everything below ~4000 ft but in was sunny up high so the scenery was terrific!

Jerry L

Jerry L - Jul 30, 2012 11:46 pm Date Climbed: Jul 31, 2012

did it  Sucess!

Done

olymountainman

olymountainman - Jul 1, 2012 2:14 pm Date Climbed: Dec 4, 2012

A nice ridge climb  Sucess!

Climbed Baldy along with Tyler Peak, and the no namer in a quick early winter day hike. Great climb, not a good one to break in a new pair of winter boots though, ouch :(

ExtremeD69 - Apr 17, 2012 8:15 am

Baldy  Sucess!

Nice views of the Royal Basin!

IBentryn - Mar 23, 2012 12:48 am Date Climbed: Jun 19, 1997

Worth regular visits.  Sucess!

Now that I've found the Tyler Way Trail, I'd vote the best loop is in the counter-clockwise direction. Prettier Tyler on the way up - no-nonsense Maynard Burn on the way back to the car.

Mountainjeff

Mountainjeff - Sep 4, 2011 9:15 pm Date Climbed: Sep 4, 2011

great views  Sucess!

Went up the Maynard Burn way trail, Met a couple on the false summit who told me about the recently reopened Tyler peak way trail. It is by no means less steep, but seemed to be a better trail. I used it on the descent and would probably hike it again.

Dundeel

Dundeel - Jan 8, 2011 3:50 pm Date Climbed: Jun 16, 2006

Lupine Garden  Sucess!

The lupine were at their peak. Saw a big bear down in the meadows to the north.

Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Dec 20, 2010 2:14 am Date Climbed: Jul 24, 2010

Maynard Burn Trail  Sucess!

Climbed up the Maynard Burn trail to Baldy and than ridge walked to Grey Wolf; the Clallam County High Point

Bob Bolton

Bob Bolton - Sep 18, 2010 12:23 am Date Climbed: Aug 10, 2002

On the way to Gray Wolf Ridge  Sucess!

Hiked Gray Wolf Ridge with Chris Verdugo and topped out on Baldy en route.

TimmyC

TimmyC - Aug 10, 2010 1:16 pm Date Climbed: Aug 9, 2010

Part of a wetwetwet Gray Wolf Ridge walk  Sucess!

Apparently this is a lovely summit, but the weather didn't let me see more than a few dozen yards of it at a time. Wet. Did I mention how wet it was? Wet.

MachSix

MachSix - Aug 9, 2010 3:44 pm Date Climbed: Aug 8, 2010

Burn Trail  Sucess!

Was planning on going to Gray Wolf, but the other climbers in my party were moving slow and didn't want to continue, so we just grabbed Baldy via the Burn Trail. Weather was foggy, so we couldn't see a whole lot from the summit (another reason to not go to Gray Wolf). Fun climb nonetheless. Would like to come back for some better weather with a possible camp high on the mountain!

Redwic

Redwic - Jul 14, 2010 11:38 pm Date Climbed: Jul 14, 2010

While En Route To Gray Wolf...  Sucess!

I took the (STEEP) Maynard Burn Trail to the ridge below Baldy's false summit, and then summited Baldy from that location while en route to Gray Wolf Peak (Ridge). I then returned back to Baldy, and continued along the ridge to Peak B and Tyler Peak. Great views and great weather. Small wildflowers were just starting to bloom.

Mountainjeff

Mountainjeff - Mar 22, 2010 10:36 pm Date Climbed: Mar 19, 2010

Upper Maynard Burn Trail

Took a pretty easy pace as I was carrying skis. Snow started at 5000ft,but most of the ridgelines were snow free. Watch out for cornices and the ever present avy danger during the winter.

tleaf

tleaf - Nov 28, 2009 10:19 pm Date Climbed: Jun 16, 2006

My screensaver pic  Sucess!

at the moment. I've climbed it a few times, narrowly escaping blisters on that damn fire break trail. This last time we climbed it we went on to summit Gray Wolf as well and the fields were in bloom with lupine, a heavenly sight!

Viewing: 1-20 of 23
12
Return to 'Baldy' main page