Viewing: 1-13 of 13

splattski - Jan 7, 2011 8:58 am - Voted 10/10

Great report

Nicely done. Your words do a good job of conveying a great learning experience. Great pics, too!

ElGreco

ElGreco - Jan 7, 2011 2:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great report

Thanks! Shooting pics was my way of taking a break and staying calm. They are so worth it afterwards, even if it's the last thing you feel like doing at the time.

sassyplatt

sassyplatt - Jan 9, 2011 12:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Great report

Thanks for sharing your experience, I felt your nervousness!

albanberg

albanberg - Jan 9, 2011 2:08 pm - Voted 10/10

Cool...

report. Glad everyone got back ok!

centrifuge

centrifuge - Jan 9, 2011 3:49 pm - Hasn't voted

well written report

and good decision making turning around. I remember very well my first time with crampons on having a similar experience with the snow conditions. Your report made me remember that exp with vivid clarity, nice work! :) Its hard to come to that decision (to turn around when you might be in over your head or conditions are just not favorable), which is part of why people end up hurt or worse. Thank you for posting the report! Also, congrats on getting Rainier and eventually Shasta later

rlshattuck

rlshattuck - Jan 10, 2011 7:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanks . . .

brought back all the fun memories of my first failed (yet magnificent) slog up the Hotlum glacier Route . . . in way over my head.Great fun.

Deb

Deb - Jan 11, 2011 8:24 pm - Voted 10/10

Appreciate..

...your candor about not being experienced. At least you knew when to throw in the towel and no one was hurt (physically). Beautiful photos! Shasta sure holds a special place in my heart as well.
Cheers!

ElGreco

ElGreco - Jan 12, 2011 12:10 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Appreciate..

Thanks! No one was hurt mentally either, permanently at least ;) Rainier the following week did wonders with its soft snow, and our guides, of course.

I read an article by a Denali guide recently who took an older guy up and down the mountain, with some frostbite, I think. He was lamenting the fact that he can no longer feel the awe of the unknown up there like he could when he was a kid and a novice.

So maybe these are times to cherish. It certainly left us hungry for more.

triyoda

triyoda - Jan 12, 2011 11:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Nice work

Having been turned around on Shasta at over 13,500' due to conditions I feel your pain. Turning back when you are in doubt is always the right decision. The mountain will still be there.

ElGreco

ElGreco - Jan 13, 2011 2:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice work

Exactly. The high point is only half way. And getting down always feels like a different beast to me. Sometimes it's quick and easy, but that time the upper section felt much harder than the ascent.

RickF

RickF - May 7, 2011 9:04 pm - Voted 9/10

Thanks for the Trip Report

I'll be making a third attempt to summit Shasta this coming June (2011). The details in your report have helped me fill in a lot of planning details. I'm planning to go up Clear Creek also. It seems that even though June typically has better weather, the rime ice can be a serious obstacle.

ElGreco

ElGreco - May 9, 2011 2:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks for the Trip Report

Rick, you can call up the Fifth Season line to find out the latest details on the route and road snow coverage. You could do this with one night camping out only, but it depends on how far you want to travel and how far from the trailhead the road is closed.

I don't know if the route is icy as a rule - we caught it right after a late season storm, but it reputedly has great corn snow in the spring if you time it right. The sun hits it early due to its eastern aspect, so get an early start if you want to avoid falling ice.

Good luck! This is an easy but very scenic route.

trailken1

trailken1 - May 10, 2017 7:12 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice Writeup

I have climbed the Clear Creek route twice, but never in conditions like that.

Thanks for bringing us along with that well written account. :)

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Return to 'Baptism by ice: learning (without) the ropes on Shasta's Clear Creek route' main page