Bard-Harrington Wall

Bard-Harrington Wall

17-February-2007: yet another shot of the Bard-Harrington Wall (link shows route topos). Hobnail Boots goes up the thin ice on the lower left, then through a chimney (5.8 without ice) in the upper left, then traverses right and up along the leftmost part of the flow. This day there was ice in the chimney (click on pic for larger version) - no drytooling moves were required. To do Tricouni Nails, don't traverse right after the chimney - go straight up. Some guides rate the ice difficulty of the upper pitches of these routes as WI4+. In the conditions I climbed them in, they seemed more like WI3+ to 4-, but multiple variations exist. These routes seem best during the early morning and cold cloudy days. By mid-February the upper lefthand side of the wall gets direct sun before noon; be mindful - running water + falling ice may sweep down the routes in the afternoon in warm conditions.
rhyang
on Feb 19, 2007 9:11 pm
Image Type(s): Ice Climbing
Image ID: 271245

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
awagher

awagher - Feb 19, 2007 9:41 pm - Voted 10/10

Good info...

Thanks for posting this Rob. Good info. Good work up there too. Brad and I hit the Whitney Icefall Sunday. Place to ourselves.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1