Basin Peak Comments

Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

Good effort, I would like to see more picts, though ;-(
Posted Jun 8, 2004 5:39 am

sentinelUntitled Comment

Hurray! See, I'm actually voting. Bear in mind that it's only because I want something ;)
Posted Aug 26, 2004 1:40 am

alkiskondUntitled Comment

alkiskond

some more pics of the mountain would be needed !
Posted Sep 26, 2005 10:14 am

chskierUntitled Comment

chskier

Thanks, again.
Posted Dec 11, 2005 12:22 pm

chskierUntitled Comment

chskier

Thanks, again.
Posted Dec 11, 2005 12:23 pm

hgrapidWould be a good page, but...

hgrapid

You have several decent pages on SP, but I live in Reno and am trying to find peaks to hike, and your page just doesn't cut it. I do not see any good route information here. I think one of the goals of these pages is so people don't get lost, or find the information good enough to attempt the peak. What is the elevation gain? Length of the trail? Any more guidance on parking, trails, etc.???
Posted Mar 24, 2007 10:00 pm

chskierRe: Would be a good page, but...

chskier

Doesn't cut it? Guess you've never been there......
Posted Apr 1, 2007 1:22 am

hgrapidNot to insult you

hgrapid

I guess you have a point. I'll be there soon. However, I hope you take into account what I am saying as constructive.
Posted Apr 1, 2007 1:27 am

chskierRe: Not to insult you

chskier

Hmmm. Hard to take it as constructive. I honestly don't care too much about points; my ego does not depend upon things so subjective but I don't post just anything. I could have dozens of mountain pages and hundreds of routes and thousands of photos but I have a life. I only post something if I feel I can add something that is not already there and if I feel I have enough experience. Bob Burd told me I should just build the page one day, so I did. It's minor peak at best; you can see it from the road it is not a technical endeavor reaching or it's summit. All of the pertinent driving directions, weather links and so on are there.

That being said, if you wanted to appear to be giving constructive suggestions you could have easily given it 7 stars and left out the condescending "doesn't cut it" bullshit. I could easily give half your stuff crappy ratings, and have thought about do that over the years, but I have taken the high road and not bothered.

You want to bash stuff. Go right ahead. It's easy and safe.
Posted Apr 1, 2007 1:45 am

rkrevaldRe: Not to insult you

rkrevald

I am just starting to get into Summit Post - doing state highpoints - got 15 so far. In any case, there seems to be two groups of folks that post. Those who just enjoy what they do and post their accomplishments and those who enjoy picking on other peoples stuff. I've had a problem or two myself. It appears that a few of my pics have been detached because they don't measure up to someone's standards. Oh well!
Posted Apr 27, 2007 10:35 am

chskierRe: Not to insult you

chskier

Yep. I pretty much keep to myself and if I have a bit of something to offer that is not already represented then I pitch in. There is a nice core of Sierra SPers and although I only know a few them in person the rest are pleasantly helpful and friendly.

As far as points go, as you can tell from profile, I only have 37 points even though I have been around for a number of years. So, a ton of points is not my goal but when I am selective and thoughtful about what I post it's amazing when someone decides to just casually low-ball the points and say casually rude things. If I had a nickel for every crappy post on this site that I could have voted low on I would be a wealthy man, but I don't.

Here is my rule on voting, which I think is a sound one and would not harm anyone if they adopted it:

10 stars for kick-ass, just great photography.
9 stars for good photos
DO NOT VOTE IF IT'S BELOW A 9 STAR

10 points for mountains, routes, etc that are complete and informative.
9 points for pretty good pages (and leave helpful remarks then adjust the vote if the corrections are made)
DO NOT VOTE ON ANYTHING LESS THAN 9 POINTS

It's very easy.

hgrapid seems like a nice enough guy. He did the right thing in the end and I look forward to seeing a new route on the Basin peak page from him.

Cheers!
Posted Apr 28, 2007 12:09 am

rkrevaldRe: Not to insult you

rkrevald

Thanks for your advice. Makes sense to me.
Posted Apr 28, 2007 7:49 am

hgrapidAlright

hgrapid

I wrote the comment because I want to hike the mountain which is close by my home in Reno. I just wasn't sure with the directions. However, I will take your word for it that it is really easy. How about this. If I go out there and climb Castle, and the route to Basin isn't clear, can I send you a message with any questions, so I make sure I know the way? Is that okay?

BTW, I changed my vote.
Posted Apr 1, 2007 11:35 am

chskierRe: Alright

chskier

Is that okay? Absolutely. I do describe the two most popular routes and they are both quite obvious. The former is my favorite and is quite adequately portrayed in Bob's photograph on the front page:

The latter is just off the PCT. Follow the beaten path past the Peter Grubb hut and start climbing. It's that simple and any time of year you will find the use trail as this area sees a ton of traffic. You just can't miss Castle or Basin.

I propose that you study the photo, like for at least 4 seconds, hike to Castle and bag it, hike the ridge over to Basin and bag it, then come back via the PCT and add the "ridge route" to the Basin Peak page.

Have a good journey!