Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.51230°N / 114.06481°W
Additional Information County: Clark
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 5702 ft / 1738 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This remote peak located in the Virgin Mountains is located near the border between Nevada and Arizona. The difficulty of achieving this summit should not be overlooked. In addition, just getting to the starting point of the climb is a real challenge as well. A minimum of 25 miles of rough roads are the beginning of your day.

Getting There

From Bunkerville, Nevada take the 2 lane highway south and just prior to the bridge crossing the Virgin River, turn left onto Gold Butte Road and then proceed approximately 20 miles on some of the roughest roads you'll ever travel on. Make a left at the first major intersection (Whitney Pocket) and follow Whitney Pass Road over the pass. You'll see a four wheel drive road on your right as you descend from the pass (maybe 1/2 mile down). Take this to the right and this would be the beginning of the climb.

Route

The route to the summit is fairly straightforward although there is no actual trail. All Trails has a fairly direct route to the summit shown on its' site. Be prepared for lots of rock scrambling up the last third of the climb. All Trails says 2.5 miles and just less than 2 hours roundtrip. I exceeded both of those numbers although I do travel with 2 dogs (they slow me down).

Red Tape

NO Red Tape here.

When to Climb

I would imagine that it could be climbed year round although I doubt that anyone would want to climb here during the summer months. No doubt it would be brutal.

Camping

This is located in the Gold Butte National Monument. There are free campsites approximately 5 miles west of here (Whitney Pocket) which are clearly marked. Then prior to entering the National Monument there are billions of acres of BLM land available.

External Links

Add External Links text here.