Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.89408°N / 72.64023°W
Additional Information County: Windham
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 1280 ft / 390 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Black Mountain
A very easy hike, with an extremely Gradual trail. Its only a 1.5 mile trail to the peak and really involves no signifigant elevation gain. Black Mountain is not a bald peak, but still yeilds some decent views, especially for the fact that the trail is about as easy as they come. The summit of Black Mountain contains an old foundation, that people have built an incredible array of carins ontop of. Provides decent views of The west river, which in essence seperates Southeastern Vermont from New Hampshire, and local Vermont Forest.

Getting There

Black Mountain
From 1-91, get off at Exit 4 to Putney. Take a left off the exit ramp and go south 2.4 miles on Route 5 and turn right on the East West Road. Continue through East Dummerston and Dummerston Center for 4.5 miles and turn left onto Quarry Road (unpaved), just before the covered bridge over the West River. Go south on Quarry Road. At 1.4 miles the road becomes Rice Farm Road at an out-of-service, green steel bridge across the West River. From here keep going 0.5 mile to a parking pull-off on the right. The natural area is across the road from the pull-off, up a long grassy drive on the left. The trail is marked with a sign.

Red Tape

None

Camping

There are no Designated camping areas on or around the Mountain.

History

Black Mountain
Originating as a subterranean mass of molten rock which pushed its way into the bedrock, forming a dome, Black Mountain of Vermont was created an estimated 345 to 395 million years ago(The Nature Conservancy). Throughout the past 350 million years or so erosion has exposed the granite that is in essence the mountain. Black Mountain is a designated nature area and is protected by The Nature Conservancy. The Conservancy choose to protect the area because it felt that it contained unique geological properties for that particular region. The area displays an array of different hardwoods, as well as pine and hemlock. Also depending on the season you hike, you may see a healthy population of Mountain Laurel in bloom. Deer, Ravens, and turkey vultures are all common sightings on the mountain. The Conservancy has protected the 323 acre area with fee ownerships and conservation easements. In 2001 a 90 foot boardwalk was added to the base of the mountain, running over the wetland section.