Viewing: 1-11 of 11
mtwashingtonmonroe

mtwashingtonmonroe - Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Great page Charles! I didn't know these mountains existed. I sure am glad I do now though, because I'll be hitting them this summer. Thanks so much for sharing and nice work. Have a good one!

-Britt

CharlesD

CharlesD - Jan 19, 2005 11:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks. It's amazing what you learn on a thru-hike of New Jersey. If you have a long weekend, you'd probably really enjoy it. It's three days from High Point to DWG and two from High Point to the NY state line. No need to wait until summer. We did it on the first of December and had a fine time.



Seven miles from the NY/NJ line on the NY side is the town of Warwick, NY, home of Frank's Pizza. One of the most incredible culinary experiences of my life. The pizza was pretty good too.

Johan Heersink

Johan Heersink - Jan 20, 2005 2:54 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page Charles!

rpc

rpc - Jan 20, 2005 11:42 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Brings back memories...

Not sure if I ever topped out on any of these summits but I think I did some hikes and mountain bike rides in the area (Buttermilk Falls rings as bell....as does Wallpack Center).

Nice page.

CharlesD

CharlesD - Jan 20, 2005 11:55 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks. Nice place indeed. We hit them on an AT section hike and it really changed my mind about New Jersey. Who knew?



Charles

Scott

Scott - Jan 20, 2005 6:53 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good page. Small mountains perhaps, but it is nice that New Jersey has some.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Jan 21, 2005 12:15 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Great Page!

BobSmith

BobSmith - Jan 23, 2005 10:28 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice post. From the looks of it, hiking the AT in New Jersey must be similar to hiking the trails along Crowder's Mountain/King's Pinnacle here in NC. Relatively low elevations, but some decent relief above the outlying plains, and lots of exposed rock/thin soils.

nartreb

nartreb - Jan 23, 2005 5:17 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

You can still count me among the scoffers, but it looks like I'll have to give this place a visit in case I'm wrong.

Rob A

Rob A - Feb 19, 2005 5:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I voted before I adopted it.

dobsonian

dobsonian - Sep 30, 2007 8:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Trail Head from Walpack Center is a Bear To Reach, Try This

It took 2 hours for me to get 13 miles as the bird flies to the trail head at the end of Woods Road trying to go through Walpack Center. The road numbers had changed so that 521 was now 650 (had it on my new map but not the old one that I was referring to). When I did the turn to 615 the road was closed at the stream (bridge out) so backtracked and took detour where you pass a cemetery (thought it was in Walpack Center wrong one) eventually reached the Ranger Station and turned back to get on Brink Road but got lost on all the unmarked Stokes Roads without a current park map. This is my suggestion from 206 (I know it from the 4H camp which is around the corner).

Take 206N and turn left at Strubble Road (just past Culver Lake in Stokes). Strubble is the only sign you'll see marking this road but in fact it turns into Dimon and T's into Brink road eventually. Follow road past residential area and the 4H camp and take the first left after the camp onto the dirt road known as Shay Road but not marked,(Marked Dead End, not recommended for low clearence cars but there are no alternatives except hiking). Note that Shay Road is a left soon after you pass the Shay Trail which is marked. This road meets a second dirt road at a Y intersection (Brink Road) stay left here. Soon after you'll hit a T intersection which is woods road (straight ahead is Brinks Shelter if you park and hike from here). If you make a right and go a mile to the gate you hit the AT access trail that drops you between Blue and Bird on the AT. Follow the trail on foot beyond the gate ~.3 miles and 400+ feet of gain to the AT, Blue is to the North, Bird is to the South and Rattlesnake Beyond Bird to the South.

This is the easiest route if you're not hiking in from 206.

Viewing: 1-11 of 11
Return to 'Blue, Bird, and Rattlesnake Mountains' main page