OlympicMtnBoyLike what I see:)

OlympicMtnBoy

Great page! I love Montana and it's wild mtns. I think only the Olympics & North Cascades can compare to such wild rugged wilderness as this wilderness complex. You've done a great job organizing your material. Well done:)
Posted Sep 5, 2006 3:16 pm

Bob SihlerRe: Like what I see:)

Bob Sihler

Thank you for the positive feedback, and I'm glad you liked the page. I do need to tackle the North Cascades beyond my brief visit in 1999. Maybe next summer...
Posted Sep 9, 2006 2:30 am

b.A beautiful statement

b.

About the meaning of wilderness. Do you teach lit?
Posted Sep 6, 2006 2:15 am

Bob SihlerRe: A beautiful statement

Bob Sihler

Thank you for the kind remark. And yes, I do teach lit.
Posted Sep 9, 2006 2:28 am

SaintgrizzlyWow...!

Saintgrizzly

What a terrific page! Very glad to see it; lots of potential for future growth, too.

And very, very good writing! I liked this page. A lot.

(Also, I attached the Holland Peak page.)

--Vernon
Posted Sep 6, 2006 5:24 pm

Bob SihlerRe: Wow...!

Bob Sihler

Thank you many times over for your remarks; they mean a lot coming from someone with your experience and knowledge of the mountains, especially in Montana. And thanks for posting the Holland Peak page. I hope to put up a couple more within the next week, and feel free to add more mountains or photos.
Posted Sep 9, 2006 2:16 am

brendonBob Marshall

brendon

Definitely lots of room for more peaks from this range.

But Selway-Bitterroot/Church-RONR/Sawtooth isn't a wilderness contender? Fine, there's no sustained grizzly population yet, but there are wolves.
Posted Sep 8, 2006 1:06 am

Bob SihlerRe: Bob Marshall

Bob Sihler

When I was writing what I did, I thought of the Selway area as a contender because it is vast and rugged, does have wolves, and, I hear, has a few grizzlies now, too, despite the Idaho government's best efforts. I think I will add it to the list of contenders as I see them. Of course, it's just my list-- no one made me the final authority on what constitutes real mountain wilderness. I wouldn't include the Sawtooth area, though, because it really isn't as connected with the Selway-Bitterroot/Frank Church River of No Return system, even though it is a spectacular place, one of the country's most spectacular, from both the road and the trail. Thanks for responding.
Posted Sep 9, 2006 2:12 am

bakcastBob

bakcast

Great Page! The Bob is an incredible place. I've been back there about a dozen times in the past 10 years for long distance backpacking trips and scarcely have I taken the same trail twice. The fishing, both in the rivers and lakes, is very good; the bears are plentiful but still avoid people unlike in the park system; it is one of the only places in the US where we actually let fires burn as they please; summits are seldom visited, you can routinely go for days and even weeks without seeing anyone even in the height of summer...I can't say enough good things.
Posted Sep 8, 2006 10:51 pm

Bob SihlerRe: Bob

Bob Sihler

Thanks for the feedback. I wish could see as much of the Bob as you have, but what I've seen has just been so great that there are only two or three other places I've ever seen that compare.
Posted Sep 9, 2006 2:07 am

MelbaToastIncredible Place

MelbaToast

Stayed with some friends in Lincoln, MT in June and they flew us over the Bob Marshall wilderness in their Cessna. The Continental Divide, "Chinese Wall", waterfalls, elk, moose, deer, etc were incredible. He actually took us over all the small airstrips in the area and it's something I'll never forget. Gotta go back on foot soon! Thanks!
Posted Sep 11, 2006 12:18 am

Bob SihlerRe: Incredible Place

Bob Sihler

I hope you do get out there and get your feet on the ground. Being there just makes me feel truly alive.
Posted Sep 11, 2006 1:22 am

lsheenOutstanding!

lsheen

Stunningly beautiful area - well described and captured.

Thanks so much for sharing,

Big Lew
Posted Aug 7, 2012 9:40 pm

Bob SihlerRe: Outstanding!

Bob Sihler

Glad you liked it, Lew. I climbed I couple peaks out there earlier this month and will post something sometime this fall.
Posted Aug 24, 2012 7:32 pm