Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 21, 2012
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

Boundary Peak Climb

The 14.7 mile dirt road to the trailhead is good in some parts and bad in some parts. I was told by the ranger that I would have no problem getting to the old mine (11-12 miles in) in my Jetta. I didn't risk it and rented a small 2WD pickup truck. I had no problem getting to the trailhead in this vehicle. If you have a low clearance vehicle, you shouldn't take it on this road. Large rocks and wash crossings have made it difficult for sedans.

I camped at the old mine. It made for an adventure to snoop around there and see what this place was like 50+ years ago. There are a couple of nice meadows at and near the trailhead that you can also camp at. There also seems to be numerous places to camp in the trees as you get closer to the trailhead. Mosquitos and flies didn't seem to be an issue at this time. Water was flowing from Trail Canyon. I brought my own water though.

There is about 3000 feet of vertical climbing from the trailhead to the false summit. Much of this is loose sand/scree that can be difficult to ascend. Once you make it to the false summit, the footing is better as you climb and scramble over larger rocks and boulders to the summit. I did the climb in 3 hours. If you plan to do the California peak on the other side of the stateline, plan for 2 hours (1 hour over and 1 hour coming back). It's about 300 feet higher than Boundary Peak.

Comments

No comments posted yet.