Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.60628°N / 110.03185°W
Additional Information County: San Juan
Activities Activities: Hiking, Canyoneering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 4306 ft / 1312 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

An extremely remote point along Utah's scenic Green River, this little saddle requires a 68-mile river trip to reach, but will reward the faithful with spectacular views, numbered among the best I've seen, of both sides of the river at once. Just as a disclaimer, I didn't plan our trip, so I don't have all the information necessary, but plenty of research would be mandatory before even considering a trip down the river. It should also be mentioned that I put this page up as a Mountain/Rock because it didn't really make sense to me as anything else, although it's more of an incredibly scenic viewpoint than a true mountain.

Getting There

The hardest part by far, because a multi-day journey down the river is required to even reach the "trailhead," a fairly noticeable pullout on the right (south) side of the river. You'll know the saddle when you see it from the river, so just keep your eyes peeled from that point on, looking to your right for the pullout.

Route

Once you've finally reached the trailhead, congrats. The hard part of the ascent is over, along with the majority of your river trip. Secure your watercraft, most likely canoes or possibly rafts, then follow the obvious and surprisingly well-worn trail as it snakes and switchbacks its way up the red rock. Clearly, someone put a lot of time and effort into creating this trail, as it contains quite a few stairs made out of strategically placed rocks, so I'd just like to thank whoever did that here. From the summit, you can enjoy the views, particularly those to the east, where the river is seen to bend around and nearly meet back up with itself; undoubtedly one of the most unique and beautiful vistas I've ever seen. Lush, green plants near the river, juxtaposed with the sheer, crimson walls all around...it doesn't get much better than this. Sadly, I did not have a camera with me. The register up top, surprisingly enough, has signatures galore, so I'm sure information on this river route is abundant.

Red Tape

None to speak of.

When to Climb

I don't think this is done in any season but summer, as it would most likely be too cold, but in theory the hike could be done year-round.

Camping

You can camp at any suitable campsite you can find, although further research beforehand is advisable, because as one travels further down the river camping spots grow increasingly sparse, there is no official signage for anything, and it would be wise to have a backup campground in mind as some of the locations are quite small and fill up fast.

Improvements?

Please leave me something in either the Comments or Additions & Corrections section about how I can improve this page.

Images

Please feel free to add any images of this peak here.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.