Viewing: 1-5 of 5
jfrishmanIII

jfrishmanIII - Mar 16, 2007 5:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Cool place

Nice page! A little more info on just what there is to do there would be good.

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Nov 19, 2007 4:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Slots?

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you on this one. The slots aren't to hard to find, but they are not as good as those on the Colorado Plateau. I simply hiked the canyon and followed some of the side drainages until they narrowed into short slots. There were some in the canyon the road descends and some further south in the sandstone cliffs.

If slots are what you want and you happen to be passing through Amarillo, there are some surprisingly cool ones in the Caprock Canyonlands.

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Jan 17, 2011 12:01 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Bubba

I do not want to tell you yes and then have you show up and it not be conducive. The times I went there I mostly scrambled around on the cliff walls and up some canyons. Mountain biking never even entered my mind. That being said, there are three or so miles of "maintained" dirt road on the canyon bottom, not including the road descending into the canyon, which was about two miles. I know there are several other unofficial roads in the canyon, particularly to the north, so there is some potential that way as well. I would say that if you were to try it, spring would not be the time, since the river does get pretty full and the roads do cross at some fords.

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Jan 17, 2011 10:42 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Bubba

I am stoked (and envious) that you went out there! Thanks for posting all the pictures too. Like I said before, I eagerly anticipate some good NM stuff!

NIckNewMexico - Sep 15, 2023 8:28 am - Hasn't voted

Rare River-side experience in NM, Want to bike across the river!

There's not a lot of rivers in New Mexico, especially with red cliffs and usually no people, so it's a special spot and very serene. I'm definitely coming back with a mountain bike someday, there's a dirt road I saw that crosses the river so I want to barrel across if the water's low enough and the sun is out. If you want to hike again the next day and enjoy a country drive, there's the Sundance Inn in Roy (new owners just refurbished it, has Wifi, some have kitchens & they take dogs). Roy has a Vintage gas station to top off, and market. You can also bike or walk around Mosquero to see the murals.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Canadian River Canyon (Mills Canyon)' main page