Carderock Comments

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Nov 9, 2007 11:43 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Yep....

Thanks for checking out this page, especially since the area is just a boulder compared to what's out there in the West. It took me a long time to check out Carderock even though it's just a 20-minute drive from home. I've been spending more time at Great Falls, where the crags are more spread out and the routes are more interesting (to me).

Interesting about your comment regarding the best being challenged-- my guide mentions Charlie Fowler among several other well-known names as being one who spent considerable time here polishing skills and putting up routes. I had no idea the spot had much reputation outside this area.

JohnEly

JohnEly - Feb 15, 2016 9:49 pm - Voted 10/10

Very Nice Work

Bob, you've done Carderock proud!! It's small, but it's a gem. How many major metropoli have such a place 20 mins away from downtown? Not many....Dig up a guide sometime and add to the history. Lots of important climbers got their start here, or used in year in and year out as their local crag, including Herb and Jan Conn, Chris Scordos (who did the Jam Box, a 5.10, a long long time ago), John Stannard, Jim Shipley, Hunt Prothro, and John Middendorf, to name a few....

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Feb 16, 2016 12:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very Nice Work

Thanks a lot, John! I've seen a lot of your contributions on Mountain Project (and have found them very useful), so I really appreciate a nod of approval from someone who really knows the area. At some point, I probably will add to the history beyond the mentions of the Conns, as I do have the PATC guides and another book with some history.

Funny that you mention Jam Box-- on Sunday, I went out to check out Outlook Rocks, Easter Egg Rocks, and Jam Box, for my partner and I are eager to try some new climbs out there and have a quieter setting (getting tired of the gym climbers and their music).

Looking forward to the warm weather this weekend!

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Carderock' main page